Is there really a need to scan your second HD? Anyone ever had a virus on second HD?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Supersnake, May 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Supersnake

Supersnake Registered Member

Am curious to know if it is really necessary to scan your second hard drive?

Have always installed my OS on my C:/ drive and kept my D:/ drive as a backup drive in which to install my computer games. In my 10 or so years of using a Windows computer I have never had any virus or any malware appear on my D:/ drive.

So I am wondering, is it really necessary to include both of your drives in a full system scan?

2. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

only you can know what your data habits are - I have encountered several file sharing demon machines from hell, where every drive was completely full of downloaded "warez" - and the infestations were on every square millimeter of HD platter (in my estimation)... so - POSSIBLY!!

3. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Re: Is there really a need to scan your second HD? Anyone ever had a virus on second

I've never had one on there either. I scan it rarely.

4. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

Re: Is there really a need to scan your second HD? Anyone ever had a virus on second

I just scan my main drive. I already know what`s on 2nd drive is safe.

5. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I periodically scan my D drive just so I don't have the problem webyourbusiness described.

6. i_kenefick

i_kenefick Registered Member

Yes. You must (should) scan all drives. Most of the malware we see today aren't even viruses 'per-se'. They are either trojans, worms, or some other non viral malware like spyware and usually their affect is limited to the partition where Windows is installed. However a real virus will infect (append, prepend, overwrite etc) it's code onto files regardless of their location (depending on the payload). An over-hyped piece of such malware was spoken of in this very forum only a few days ago. The Polip virus for example... this would be able to infect executable files on your d:/ drive. It doesn't care (I don't wish to personify malware but hey :) )

7. webyourbusiness

woah - they weren't *MY* machines... clients brought them in with problems (unsurprisingly)!!

8. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I instinctively knew that. Sorry if I offended by not making it obvious.

9. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Not on my personal PCs at home..but I've seen them on servers partitions which have shared folders for the clients many times. So technically...the answer based on my experience is a "yet".

10. webyourbusiness

np - and since reading this, I've realized, that I've had NOD32 find them on server partitions where files were dragged onto BEFORE NOD32 was installed - and those partitions were any number of drive letters other than the boot drive. Actually, it's found trojans inside zip archives on our own machine that had not previously been found after an update!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.