Is there Freeware similar to WinZip? or download without WinZip?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by chew, Aug 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

will you start a new thread about the ref. file?. i would but ive had trouble updating since i tried to force it to use proxy config., to update with old version, after it had already started to update. :)

2. Deke

Deke Registered Member

Get FreeZip here. Have used it for over 2 years with no problems and it has a real easy interface.

Lockergnome's Review:

Novices: Confused with ZIP files? Do other ZIP proggies offer too many confusing options? Do you just want to download things and get on with your life? If other ZIP proggies leave a strange taste in your mouth, you can use FreeZip for FREE. If you have ever used the Windows Explorer, then there's nothing new to learn with this puppy. Quick, painless, and nicely integrated with Explorer."

Last edited: Aug 11, 2004
  3. chew

chew Registered Member

Iceni60

Yes, I guess I will start a new thread on this ...

Deke

Thank you for your information. I will take a look at it later.

Everyone ... I think the problem might or might not be my WinZip or PowerAchiver etc., problem ... it might be Ad-aware's download site problem really.

Ok will start a thread in 10 mins ...

Chew

4. Deke

Deke Registered Member

Thought I better add this as not to confuse FreeZip with another similiar program that contains spyware:

NOTE: "FreeZip" (without exclamation point) has been available since 1997 and is different from the recently launched NewMedia/Braxio "FreeZip!" and in no way associated with the program. Unlike that product, FreeZip does not involve any of the "Spyware".

5. Deke

Deke Registered Member

Chew-On your AdAware download problem.

Go to majorgeeks and use the second from top download site. It is the one I use to get the new version last night.

6. chew

chew Registered Member

Deke

I have already got the Ad-aware SE from MajorGeek site when it was released.

I have no problem whatsoever downloading from MajorGeek's site.

My problem now is associated with trying to update the first Ref. List File for the Ad-aware SE.

It just does not update and kept giving me the old Ref. List File.

Hence, I thought it was me and my Zip engine that caused the problem ...

hhhmm ....

Chew

7. chew

chew Registered Member

Problem solved guys. Thanks to Ronjor.

Ok ... I made a mistake. I thought the update was for build 1.01.

Well, I thought my Ad-aware SE has the latest engine and the ref. list was for build 1.01.

I guess it means updating the whole Ad-aware SE engine to build 1.02 ... not like in the past where you only update the ref. list ... this time it's for the whole engine.

So there you go ... me and my never read between the lines carefully ... d'oh!

So I guess I will reinstall my WinZip 9.0 for the moment.

Cheers

Chew

8. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear chew, powerarchiver is definately not free and the old version might have bugs in it. try this one, its free and updated. it even handles the 7-zip.
    http://www.zipgenius.it/index_eng.htm

9. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Hi AMRX,

To clarify: Power Archiver 6.1 is definitely free--the last free version they issued--which is why I referenced it. The newer versions are trialware.

;)

10. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

ZipGenius is good, but it's a bit bloated. Should handle fine if you have enough RAM, though.

11. Valkyri001

Valkyri001 Registered Member

:D I have Both WinZip & WinRar. Can't really tell the diff.

12. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I know someone already posted this but I use 7zip. The crazy thing that I zipped a program I made and sent it to my wife at work and it said she must buy winzip to open it. I just assume it's not 7zips fault it's just my wife don't have any kind or program to unzip files.

13. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear JimIT, there has been some misunderstanding. i meant the new versions of Powerarchiver as someone mentioned about using it though it is showing the trial notice everytime he/she opens an archive. thats why i specially mentioned the *old* version might be having bugs in it. English is not my mommy language you see?

dear notageek, when you use new flavours of compression you should make sure the person on the other end has something to decompress it. same thing goes for RAR archives too. ZIP is common and should be the choice in case of confusion.

dear Valkyri001, your username reminds of a wonderful FPS ganme i love. is it about that illegal drug or something else? WinRAR is far better than Winzip if you ask me. it can do everything Winzip can and more.

14. notageek

notageek Registered Member

AMRX, I know that the other person has to had a compression program to decompress the programs I send. My wife did have a compression tool and now it seems she don't.

15. Justhelping

Justhelping Guest

If you are using XP you don't need winzip?

Also 7zip comes in a self-extracting archive form , so you don't need any program to unzip files

16. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

One free utility I'd like to mention here is TUGZip. It offers similar features to ZipGenius (can extract RAR and ACE files, has full 7-zip support) while seeming less bloated and more configurable.

17. "Zip Genius" is a nice program.

It is a little on the chunky side,
    but it works EXCELLENT!

Check it out!

HTTP:/WWW.ZIPGENIUS.IT

18. Ailric

Ailric Guest

You can always get old versions of programs like PowerArchiver at - you guessed it:
    http://www.oldversion.com/

Here is a comparison:
    The Best File Archiver/Zip Utility New March 1, 2005
    Users are spoiled with choice in this category with QuickZip, ICEOWS, IZArc, TUGZip, ZipGenius and 7-Zip all worthy contenders for the title. 7-Zip v4.15 is to be commended for it's solid engineering; It was the only product in this group that could unpack a multi-part RAR volume embedded in a ZIP archive and the only product to give a meaningful error message when an attempt was made to unpack a 256bit encrypted WinZip archive. However it's lack of drop and drag from an archive is a real minus as is the fact that it was the only product that required configuring after installation. It also supports only 12 formats - it can't for example read ACE archives. ZipGenius v 5.51 is the easiest to use and has the most professional looking interface but was the slowest to run. ICEOWS v4.2 (the former ArjFolder) opens all archives in an Explorer Window rather than its own control panel, a feature some might find comforting but I found limiting. TUGZip v 3.2 is a terrific product marred by the lack of captions on its control panel icons - I got confused every time I used it. QuickZip 4.5 impressed me greatly with its features. It was also the only product that displayed different icons for different archives which proved to be a surprisingly useful feature. QuickZip was however, just a little slow to run and supports fewer archive types than some of the other products - it's another product that can't read the relatively common ACE format. That leaves IZArc v 3.5; It's relatively fast, easy to use, has full drop and drag support, can read nearly 50 archive types including media formats like ISO, BIN and IMG and can write (and convert) to 12 archive types. The only downside is that it uses one icon to represent all archive types and a quite ugly icon too. That aside, it is a terrific product and gets my hearty recommendation. Note: If you already use WinZip you'll find IZArc an excellent companion product. It can read just about all the archive formats WinZip can't, including RAR. Make sure though, that after installing IZArc, you don't let it change your WinZip file type associations. Just let IZArc handle file types not covered by WinZip. Freeware, Windows 9x and later, 3.1MB
    http://www.izsoft.dir.bg/izarc.htm
    Full article:
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46_free_utilities.htm

I like IZArc of all the freebies but use WinRAR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.