is there anything wrong?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by manju, Jan 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manju

manju Guest

Folks,
    I am a newbie dumb user and perhaps this is the wrong place to post in which case I will apologize in advance. I need all your help ...

My computer is a 1.8ghz P3 compaq and I have Symantec Corporate firewall, Anti-virus. I also have run Spybot, Ad-aware, spysweeper, Microsoft's new Giant anti-spyware, TDS-3 and have recently downloaded wormguard and process guard. Inspite of me looking for all this, I dont think I have found any spy or trojan but if i look at my task manager, I see under the performance tab that my cpu is being used 20% all the time with small spikes going from 20-40% periodically. what I cant figure is my processes window says that my system is idle for about 90+% whereas the graph under the performance tab says that the floor of the resources is about 20% doing what?.... Is there something that is happening that I know of (trojan, worm, etc?).

Also my cd drawer is refusing to eject from about 3 weeks. It functions perfect when the system is starting up (after reboot) but after my system is on for about 20 minutes, the drawer is stuck.... I have heard of trojans/worms doing such things....

Any ideas... I can run process guard or hijack this and submit the logs... would u folks please help me..... I would appreciate it very much.
    Also, i did a cursory glance at the forum threads... so If this is the wrong place for me to post and if i have missed out reading any threads containing this kind of problems... Please excuse my sloppiness ..

Thanks in advance
    regards
    manju

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi manju, Can you please go here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=50662.
    We no longer do HJT logs here as a rule but if you go through the procedure shown in the link above you should be able to clean your machine successfully.
    Personally I would not install ProcessGuard until you are sure that your machine is clean.
    If you require further assistance after your clean up, please start a new thread in the relevant forum.

This thread will now be closed.

Pilli

3. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

For the Thread "Is there Something Wrong?"

This above thread got closed; however, I think the author is going off on the wrong path. He has Symantec's Corporate NIS and is also running ProcessGuard. The high CPU usage is caused by this combination.

He needs to turn off Symantec's own protection and let ProcessGuard protect his NIS. The Symantec option to turn off is found by opening NIS, selecting Options-Norton Internet Security-General tab. It is labeled "Protect my product" and needs to be unchecked. Once unchecked, the CPU usage will drop back to normal. Obviously he needs to then be sure all critical modules of NIS are protected through ProcessGuard.

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Re: For the Thread "Is there Something Wrong?"

siliconman01,

Although what you mention is always a possibility, from the limited information in that thread I would agree with Pilli's original assessment.

PG was a recent addition, but the original poster noted issues traced as far back as 3 weeks ago. In the absence of additional information, I would have provided similar advice. Note that Pilli explicitly stated
    so it should be apparent if PG/NAV/other contention is the root cause of the CPU utilization level.

Finally, since this is clearly not a Wormguard issue, I'll close out this thread now.

Blue

5. manju

manju Guest

solution found for "is there something wrong"

I apologize for my thread in the wrong place.
    I also apologize for starting this new thread. I only did this so that u folks can find out what the problem was so that u "wizards" may help out more of us dumb brethern :).
    If the mod would like to move this post to the old thread that would be fine..
    Also not the least...
    Thank you very much folks for pointing me to the right threads..... following your thread and then doing some research I downloaded Taskinfo which seems a very good process monitor showing all kinds of info... from which I realized the cpu was continually spending 20% on Interrupts placeholder?? Doing a search on this
    led me to a post which mentioned that this was due to cpu polling usb ports...
    I then realized that I had all of my usb ports loaded with stuff (camera, printer, scanner, etc...).
    Once I disconnected all these stuff, I now find normal cpu behaviour.
    SO THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH FOR POINTING ME TO THE RIGHT PLACE. HAPPY NEW YEAR FOLKS... & ONCE MORE THANKS A TON....
    manju

6. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

manju,

No need to apologize - we all have done exactly the same thing - and to clean things up, the various threads are merged together and placed under Software, Hardware, & General Services - which is probably the best fit given the solution you identified.

Nice work by the way!

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.