Is there any way to prevent files from being downloaded

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bgoodman4, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I have a friend who creates 3D models (CAD/CAM) for a living who wants to have what essentially will be 3D product shots of his work on his website. He is concerned the files will be downloaded and the models used without his permission.

Is there any way to prevent the models files from being downloaded and used?

He has considered 3D pdf as well as a program that heavily compresses the 3D files and allows them to be viewed in a browser. The files in this case would be saved in .mht format. Does anyone know if these would be extractable in any form that could be used to machine a model?

Any ideas as to how to prevent the unauthorized use of his models will be most appreciated.

2. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

From my experience if something can be viewed it can be stolen/downloaded.Has he considered adding a watermark to any images to at least offer some protection of his intellectual property?

3. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

No, not really if you mean he's gonna post rendered images there. For one, it's already downloaded when you see them, in the browser cache. Just need to dig it up. Also, if you play the old Javascript disable right-click tricks, very easy to bypass. Worst case, you take a screenshot of the browser screen.

You can stick some watermark on those pics, disable inlining of those from other sites (needs a webserver configuration for this) and that's about it.

4. bgoodman4

I am sorry if I was not clear, these will be actual 3D images that can be rotated so potential clients can decide if they want to purchase the actual model which could be milled or otherwise made into a real world model. Screen shots are not an issue.

There must be some way to prevent the files from being downloaded and the data extracted in a form that is machinable. At least I think there must be some way to prevent this from happening.

5. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@bgoodman4

Yes potentially serious problem :(

Could this person make a video of those actual 3D images, for eg as flash etc etc, and post those on the www ? That way they could play/freeze etc the images but NOT import them into the software :)

The etc etc was meant to infer other video files such as AVI, mp4, WMV etc and the like, not just flash ;)

-

Edit for extra info

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  6. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Java or flash technologies should be used to rotate 3d models. These technologies can be "decompiled" so I suggest to include lower quality 3d graphics inside.

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  7. bgoodman4

That is an excellent idea, I will suggest it to my friend.

Thank you

8. bgoodman4

We had talked about that and it seemed like it was a pretty good idea except the decompiled models in many cases could still be cleaned up and used. Seems like the video idea is the best route for my friend to take.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.