Is there any free alternative to Mamutu ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by xperator, May 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ichito

ichito Registered Member

I think standalone Dynamic Security Agent...now included in Privetfirewall...could be a good alternative besides ThreatFire. Below you have threads about DSA
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/search.php?searchid=4627884
    and DSA test
    http://membres.multimania.fr/nicmtests/Dynamic-Security-agent-tests/DSA_index.htm
    TF is realy a little bit abandoned but I think it can be still solid protection layer. Here is one of the latest tests with TF...the result is very promissing
    -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyRliGiJjt0&feature=youtu.be-
    and test of Mamutu with perhaps a little bit more worse result
    -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJxfICdmbj4&feature=relmfu-

2. xperator

xperator Registered Member

Sad news from both Mamutu and Avast's BB.
    Tried compiling a keylogger source code written in vb.net and they couldn't detect it...
    Mamutu simply doesn't pick up anything and Avast opened the file automatically in sandbox and was trying to analyze it for suspicious activity and it couldn't find anything. Same thing without sandbox.

Fortunately KeyScambler can prevent the keylogger. But I want a BB do this. What's your opinion guys ?

btw, @ichito : Thanks for the info :)

3. Yanick

Yanick Registered Member

Comodo Defence+ has cloud based behaviour analysis and heuristic analysis. Would it be viable solution?

4. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

well about mamutu you have to tweak it in order to Help you stop bad thing

also about the avast stuff even it didn't detect a malicious stuff
    but at least it did alert you for the process being executed and the normal
    Wilderssecurity reader will instantly research that

anyway i don't trust BB the same as HIPS in my opinion
    Comodo or Online armore is better to be the Base of the security

everything else is just another Layer

5. xperator

I installed ThreadFire and PrivateFirewall to check the same keylogger which was undetectable by Mamutu and Avast's BB.
    ThreadFire missed it as well but unexpectedly PrivateFirewall catched the keylogger. I thought PrivateFirewall would give worst result... I shouldn't have judged it early!

I am going to check with a few more samples and see which one will win. PrivateWall vs Avast's BB vs Mamutu

6. xperator

After doing more tests, I think PrivateWall is the winner and the alternative to Mamutu.
    Although it did miss some malwares samples, but MalwareBytes and Avast can make up for it.

Thanks everyone.

7. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

This could be for a variety of reasons, a good BB should monitor all actions and make a decision made on multiple actions(depending on sensitivity and severity). Monitoring they keyboard is not malicious, however.. if that same program monitors the keyboard AND also connects to the internet, then that would definitely be suspicious. With the same BB's and program you created, try connecting to the internet.

8. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

9. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

PrivateFirewall is an excellent Firewall/HIPS/Anti-Logger solution.

I have used it for a long time with great results. It is still installed on my wife's machine while I have been testing Comodo for the past couple of weeks on mine.

PF's development team is also very responsive to the needs of its customers.
    I think you have made a very good decision.

10. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Privatefirewall is one of my favorite software. It's pretty powerful fw bb and al combination.

The CEO himself responds to every query. I get my answers within 20 minutes of sending the email. No matter which time of the day I send it I will get a response specific and clear to my problem within 20 minutes. It does not matter if it's 2 am in the morning or 3 pm in the afternoon. I have had one of the best support experience with a software provider with privatefirewall support. :)

11. xperator

You should be a special customer to them ;)

I sent an email to them few days back and still no reply o_O It's regarding my issue here. Although it's very simple matter, not sure why nobody answers it :doubt:

12. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

If Greg Salvato hasn't replied to your request promptly I'd guess he's either away (out of town) or awaiting a response from the developer to forward to you. I'm sure he'll be in touch.

13. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Believe me when I say I'm a nobody. Like Blue said he will get in touch. He is usually extremely fast to respond. :)

14. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Outpost Firewall has an excellent Anti-Malware section of their firewall suite. Price? There is a free version available. http://free.agnitum.com/

15. Romagnolo1973

Romagnolo1973 Registered Member

yes but free version you can't disable av, so you can only use the complete pack fw+hips+av

16. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    The free version is only the firewall and anti-malware and does not have all the functions of the paid version hence it is working fine with a good antivirus that is used here with no conflicts.

17. vojta

vojta Registered Member

I agree, very fast and thorough support for me and everyone that I know. Mind blowing when you consider that this is freeware!

I'm sure that there is a problem with spam filters or something similar here.

18. xperator

Checked spam too. it's not there. I don't think my gmail would have problems with that.

btw, I haven't got any reply since I sent my support ticket 2 weeks before o_O

19. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

exactly :thumb:

20. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

You can always send another support ticket you know. :D

21. xperator

Would you send their email address to me please ?
    I think contacting directly would be better.

22. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I think you will have to fill the form in the website and directly sending them an email would not work. That's why you've gotta fill out your phone number and all that you see. Just fill out the form and send it again. Give it one more chance. I'm sure Greg will reply. :)

Best Wishes,
    Iron Man

23. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I experienced nothing but satisfaction with the final version of TF so far as a Mamutu replacement goes. With the right set of rules (general.dat) engaged, ThreatFire suppliments any HIPS as a fallback protector. It's dll injection protection is excellent! However when they left off development, they also left off (missing) many very good & useful configurations that certainly would have propelled it over the top no doubt.

On another note, it continues to boggle my mind why Mamutu seems to be the absolute ONLY single Behavioral Blocker in the PC Security Industry which is enjoyed continued success as a very useful security program in any light.

If anyone is seen another anywhere near the makeup of a ThreatFire or Mamutu, i would likely be shocked to see it.

24. Tsast42

Tsast42 Registered Member

Another behaviour blocker that hasn't been mentioned is Xyvos Anti-Virus. I can't comment on its effectiveness and it's perhaps a little troubling that they don't seem to appreciate the difference between anti-virus and whitelisting or behaviour blocking. Nicely presented for what it's worth.

25. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I highly agree with members favoring & the proven performance of PrivateFireWall of Privacyware. Recently i install it to nearly any system irregardless of overlap such as Comodo FW w/ D+ & EQS (HIPS) and it's very compatible with those and others working in tandem.

I never really considered PFW as a BehaviorBlocker per say but rather a well defined HIPS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.