Is there any firewall suitable for me?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by OHM, Nov 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

Look N Stop is made for Vista & I think so is PC Tools Firewall Pro. You might try them.

2. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Right now I don't think any stand alone firewall that runs on Vista is all that great. You probably need to look at suites and take the one that has the fewest things wrong with it.

The alternative is pick your favorite AV and go with the Vista built in FW until something else comes along.

3. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Blue Zanetti

from previous post:

Quote:
    "Isn't NAT suppose to be turned on automatically from the moment I got the router?

Yes, out of the box"

Need your advice please.

In my Billion router,there is a setting under PPoe Routed-Wan Link -to enable or disable NAT.

It was originally disabled.

What then is this setting?

thanks

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  4. OHM

OHM Guest

Hi,
    Many thanks to all you guys,
    Especially Hairy Coo for making me feel secure,
    I'm thinking of just using Vista firewall,
    because every other software firewalls are too complicated for me to handle,
    anyways, thank you guys!

5. Hairy Coo

Good move:thumb:

Also,I suggest that you download the free edition of Threatfire,one of the very best HIPS,which is light and unobtrusive and very simple to use!

Just use as is.

http://www.threatfire.com/download/

6. OHM

OHM Guest

Hairy Coo,
    I'll definately try it!,
    but what exactly does HIPS in Threatfire do?
    Does the free version of TF provide enough security?
    Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2007
  7. Hairy Coo

Read Paragraph 8-that will explain it.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46_free_utilities.htm#8

Its an additional layer of security for your firewall and router.

The freeware is identical to the shareware except it doesnt have antivirus and a couple of relatively unimportant points-all listed in the link I provided.

You neednt worry about using it-it shouldnt cause any problems at all.

I presume you have an antivirus.

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

The details of the device matters since the specific terms can change a bit, but the end result is basically the same.

If all PC's on the LAN side have distinct and public IP addresses (i.e. your ISP allows multiple public IP addresses), you do not have to use NAT to link all PC's to the WAN side. The router is basically used as a switch in this case.

If you use distinct devices for the modem and router, turning the router into a switch is effectively equivalent to plugging the PC into the modem. If you have more then one PC, putting a switch between the PC's and the modem simply yields more physical hardwired ports to add additional PC's to the whole network.

In paired modem/router devices (i.e. one physical device), the same thing occurs but the physical relationships aren't quite as obvious.

Virtually all standalone routers are configured to act as a DHCP server by default. Modem/router paired devices, particularly those supplied by ISP's, may employ different default configurations.

Blue

9. Hairy Coo

Thanks for the explanation

Hairy

10. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hello OHM,

My two cents on the matter. Why not give Returnil, or Shadow Defender a try? Programs like this 'clone' your hard drive, so your working in a virtual environment, nothing writes to your actual hard drive. Catch a Trojan, delete anything you want, reboot the Trojan does not exist & what ever you deleted is still present.

I chose Shadow Defender & am writing this in Shadow Mode so anything bad that happens to C: just does not exist, after a reboot.

Think of your hard drive as a "chalk board" contains precious documents etc., adding "Shadow Defender" is like putting a piece of plastic in front of the chalk board. Bad stuff tries to erase the chalk board, or spray paint it, you reboot & the plastic (containing malware) is gone & your data is safe.

Since using Shadow Defender i've said goodbye to: Comodo FW, Prevx2 <another Hips>, LinkScanner Pro, I still use NOD32 because there's still time left on the subscription, & may not renew.

Another product using this approach is: DeepFreeze see:

DeepFreeze

Watch theere video, while there, very impressive.

Take Care
    Rico

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.