Is there any benefit in upgrading (?) to NPF 2005 from NPF 2003?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by HandsOff, Nov 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

...i mean, i am still able to get live update, so I was thinking that there might not really be a difference...except...i have heard nightmare stories about problems with the Activation/Verification scheme that Norton began in 2004. As a person who has a significant amount of privacy software installed, it seems distasteful for me to let some program transmit data about me and my computer back and forth across the internet.

How distasteful you ask? Well, I can get 2005 internet security upgrade for free through a promotion, yet hesitate to do so. I like NPF and NAV quite a bit (save your breath detractors!) but decided when they went to "Hactivation" that I was going to switch Firewall and AntiVirus when the day came that I could no longer update the 2003 version.

Considering the zero cost, if I believed the product functioned as well, or better than 2003 I would get it. I heard a lot bad about 2004 and nothing about 2005. Am I mistaken to be concerned about it?

- HandsOff

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi HandsOff

I have not looked at anything beyound 2003. Not sure if much has changed for NPF other than improvements in network detection and privacy info. There have been a couple more changes/additions if you NIS which includes NAV.

If your still comfortable with NPF2003 you could stick with it.

Regards,

CrazyM

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have read that NAV 2005 has fixed a lot of the little nagging problems that occured in previous versions. But I don't use it so all I can give is what I have read. No practical use of nav since version 2002.

bigc

4. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Thanks for the replies,

I think of BigC as sort of the conscience of Wilder's. Even though you did not say anything, I feel a bit sheepish calling it "hacktivation". The concern I have really is less of security than it is of reliability, so my designation is to some degree just name-calling. Sorry Norton!

CrazyM, I hoped you would respond. Not that you necessarily take that close a look at the new version, I am pretty sure if it were "revolutionary and not evolutionary" you would know. For a while there NPF was one of my major headaches before i downloaded the ebook you collaborated on, Agnisrules. I hope the fact that I thought it was the biography of a dominatrix doesn't diminish my praise. It's really funny because I was prepared to read the whole thing and master NPF if it was the last thing I did...Instead I found the answers I needed in a few minutes and have not had the slightest problem with NPF 2003 since.

One big annoyance went away before I started to write rules for them. When I set up a router the benefit I had not forseen was an end to the constant nagging alerts.

Between the firewall router, and NPF 2003, and the lady in black, I feel pretty safe from the random acts of internet violence.

- HandsOff

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.