Is there an app that will .........

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bgoodman4, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Every so often,,,,well, actually fairly often,,,,when I am typing I look up at my screen and realise that I had accidentally hit the Cap Lock key instead of the shift key and I now have a bunch of text that is upper case rather than lower and where it should be upper case it is lower case. Is there an app that will reverse this so I do not have to retype the entire string of text?

I did find the following on-line service which does a nice job but would like to find something that resides on the PC so its not necessary to log on to the net in order to do the conversion.

http://www.convertcase.net/

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  2. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Hi bgoodman4, a text editor could have such feature. I use EditPadLite that allows to invert selected text.

3. LenC

LenC Registered Member

In Microsoft Word, there is a very helpful command:

format / change case

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

If you are handy with scripting, many languages can watch for caps lock key to be pressed, then toggle it off automatically. You can even go so far as to dictate which applications (windows) the script should be active on.

Sul.

5. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

There is an easier way. Put this into your registry and CapsLock will behave as a Shift key:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
    "Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,2a,00,3a,00,00,00,00,00

6. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

Pinga

Havn't tried it, but if it works that's a neat solution.

That's serious looking hex lol !

What i do is as majoMo suggested, but with Metapad instaed, as i've replaced Notepad with it in Windows. Much better, more options, and free too. I just select the text i want and with one click select Make lower or Upper case. All done in a flash.

7. bgoodman4

Thanks, this looks like it will be the best option for me as I am not savvy enough to implement most of the other suggestions and I do not have Word. I took a look at Word Pad and unfortunately it does not have this feature. I was hoping to find something that would become part of the right click menu options much as many spell checkers do but so far no luck.

8. bgoodman4

Just found the following program that works almost as I had hoped. Its called Primitive Case-Changer and once its launched all you need to do is highlight the text you want to change, click copy, and then click paste (or hit Ctrl+C and then Ctrl+V), and the copied text is pasted back to the highlighted section converted. Works quickly, as expected, and as hoped for. The only minor shortcoming is you have to launch the app if you want to use it,,,,,, I guess its good to only have apps running when you need them so on 2nd thought this is not a shortcoming at all. Freeware.

CNET page

Http://Download.Cnet.Com/primitive-case-changer/3000-2079_4-10912409.Html

Publishers page:

Http://Www.Primitivezone.Com/primitive-case-changer.Html

PS: one nice feature of this app is that it has a Toggle Case setting. This means that it will convert all letters in the selected string to its opposite. The other apps I looked at would only change the selected text so that the 1st letter became upper case and all the rest became lower case. This meant that words in the string that should begin or consist of an upper case letter, such as I, A, and proper names, would have to be corrected manually. Not so with this app. Mind you some of the other apps (a few were shareware) may have been able to do this as well but I may not have noticed the feature. Considering this app is available from CNET (safe to download) and free, and it WORKS, its a choice I am happy with.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  9. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

In xp have a look here, may help

Select Control Panel
    Select Accessibility Options
    Click Use ToggleKeys
    Click OK

10. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

"Just found ..." - Hard to imagine it took you ;) that long. I didn't bother 'cause I knew you'd find'er.

11. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Amazing - thank you very much for this tip:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

12. bgoodman4

No problem, I figured I would ask before starting to search to any great degree. I find recommendations to be better than searching and testing more often than not.

13. bgoodman4

I will take a look at this, thanks.

14. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Notepad++ will do that for you.

See here:

notepadpp.png

Cheers,
    Mrk

15. bgoodman4

Thank you for this however I was looking for something real simple and basic and I have found it. All Primitive-Case Changer does is fix the case of mistyped letters. Its fast, simple, and lite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.