Is there a way to save license info when uninstalling OutPost Pro 9.1?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Rilla927, Jul 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Hi gang,

Is there a way to save license info? I thought there was or maybe I'm thinking of another program, thanks.

One more...I have noticed a outbound udp connection on port 5355 in my rules. I don't recall ever seeing this before. What is this port for anyway? I found all through Java also.

2. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

1) save the e-mail containing the licence
    2) key the licence info into a text file or spreadsheet where you keep all licence info for all apps and delete/keep the e-mail
    3) take a screenshot of the e-mail, name it with the name "[app name] licence" and move the screenshot to the same folder in which you keep the install file and delete/keep the e-mail

3. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

Usually when you uninstall a program as long as you are online at the time of uninstall the license is still valid.

4. henryg

henryg Registered Member

Not in this case. Just as "jwcca" pointed out.... Save your key.... And the next time you chose to re-install, simply copy/paste it after your system re-boots.

5. Rilla927

@jwcca

Wow, that's a good idea! Thanks I'm gonna try that.

Usually when I uninstall something the internet is off, so that's probably why.

I guess I will just have to stick to the old fashioned way you mentioned henry.

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

That may not work if their license server shows the license is still in use. Better to be safe and uninstall where their server can see it.

7. Feandur

Feandur Registered Member

Peter2150:
    Is it Ok to uninstall / reinstall a Firewall while on-line?

Honest question.

f

8. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

I installed and safe-mode-clean-uninstalled Outpost many times always using the procedure identical to what jwcca described in post#2. Clean uninstalling really removes the licence in the registry, so preserving it is vital. I do this for all licenced products and normally save all the information in a text file pasted from email.

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I've done it quite a bit. But I do keep NVT ERP in alert mode. Haven't had any problems yet. Besides with router you still really are protected.

10. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

Depends would be the unsatisfactory answer I expect.

If you are on a public torrent tracker you still get ghost connections after you have exited your client.
    I would not be happy uninstalling a firewall in that situation,

11. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

12. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

There is an exception to that which is when you change hardware, which could be a motherboard or an entire PC. There's at least one app. that requires you to not only uninstall but also to first log in to their site and disable (free up) your licence, then uninstall, then install on the new hardware (using your saved licence). This may or may not apply to Outlook since I've never used it but you should keep this in mind, just in case.

13. Feandur

Feandur Registered Member

Peter2150, and trott3r ... many thanks guys.

I thought a few minutes without a firewall, and behind a router, would be fine...but it's valuable getting other opinions.

cheers,
    f

14. kronckew

kronckew Registered Member

port 5355 is used by the GUI interface to an iana reserved multicast IP address in the 224.0.0.x range. it is legit & will not be routed outside to the internet.

i believe if you export the configuration, and then do a clean.exe uninstall, then reinstall, it will require you to paste a copy of the key from your original email, or a saved copy in a text file. or you can import the save config which will include your license. haven't tried this in a while tho, so i could be wrong. do not exceed your licensed number of machines. they do check and have a purge occasionally.

i saved the email, and cut/pasted a copy of the key into a text document and saved that in 'my documents' as well. keying it in from an image character by character is not recommended as it's too easy to make an error. it's easier to cut/paste from the text file.

you can always contact agnitum on their website support page and request a new key, you'll need proof of purchase tho - they use your email address that you originally purchased/registered with. Linky to lost key page. they'll send you a new email listing all your keys associated with that email address.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  15. Rilla927

@Brummelchen, Kronckew

I knew it had to do with video streaming, but when I started finding it all through the java applications and outpost, returnil I thought something funny might have been going on because I know I didn't allow something like this and I didn't know where it came from. The links you provided explained it well, thank you very much.

As for the issue with the license for Outpost; I get tired of having to look it up for a fresh install every time. So, I figured if some how I was able to save the license that is already registered and keep it in tact while un-installing the program it would save some headaches that's all. When I un-install the internet as well as every other program is completely shut down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.