Is there a way to reinstall just programs?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gibbey, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gibbey

gibbey Registered Member

Greetings,

New to Acronis.

The situation I have is my windows xp pro has become corrupted. Won't find pagefile.sys and won't let me change the virtual memory size etc which is causing problems. Tried XP repair & re-install but did not fix the problem. Looking to transfer to a new hard drive. Is there a way to do a clean install of windows on a new hard drive then re-install the files or will a copy of the old hard drive probably overwrite the clean windows install and bring nack the old problems?

Thanks in advance,

John G

2. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Not possible. Info about installed programs, configurations, etc, etc, are weaved into the system registry.

The best you can do is to use the the Image-Explorer to retrieve your data and documents.

3. TonioRoffo

TonioRoffo Registered Member

Too late now, but try to install your windows with 2 partitions, one data, one system. On servers it is always done this way.

Of course it won't work perfectly, as "documents and settings", containing for example your profiles, my documents and outlook express data, resides on C.

If you could move these out, and you watch out where you put data, you could just restore the system.

Of course, registry is another problem, it contains a lot of "data" as well, that might be inconsistent when restoring.

4. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

You can change the location of Documents and Settings to another partition. I do this and also save my outlook folders to a separate partition. This way, whenever I need to blitz my OS I don't have to worry about losing emails or My Documents data.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.