is there a way to know if someone uses my home internet connection?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by mantra, Aug 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi

is there a way to know if someone uses my home internet connection?

i use a lan/cable fast connection , and i'm always connected (without user/passoword ! the isp told me it's senseless o_O o_O )

but my neighbor with his laptop told me , he can see when i'm connected via cable/without wireless , don't know if it's true

and often i'm online with a laptop and a wireless connection with a strong password

can someone help me ?
    and tell me
    1) is there a way to find out if someone uses my home internet connection ? i mean neighbors

2) is possible for a user with a new laptop , see when i'm connected via cable(the isp did not give me passowod) and use my connection ?
    in this case the wireless is off

thanks
    cheers
    i would appreciate it a lot

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

if he is not connected to your modem/router, then no, he can't see you.

3. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

Yes it is true. I can see when one of the neighbors is logged in to their wireless network because it shows up in the available networks on my computer. I can't log in or see what they are doing because it is encrypted which is why it is important to use WEP or WPA.

4. mantra

mantra Registered Member

so he can see only if i use a wireless ,can't he?

via cable , he can't see me

thanks a lot

5. mantra

mantra Registered Member

you can see neighbors logged only via wireless ,right ?
    can see if they are logged via cable ?

6. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

All he can see (assuming WPA/2 strong passcode) when using wireless is that it is on. Obviously the name used so called ssid

7. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

Yes it is their wireless connection. Any wireless connections within range will show up.

8. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

For LAN, you can be connected 24/7 without any problems.

For wireless use WPA-2 Personal, either use 63 characters hexadecimal key or generate your own key 63 characters.

Here is the site where you can generate a key for your WiFi.

http://www.yellowpipe.com/yis/tools/WPA_key/generator.php

Best regards,

KOR

9. mantra

mantra Registered Member

may i ask a question?

how can i discover if someone uses my internet connection ?

about lan , i guess it's hard because it should connect to my phone line

10. EncryptedBytes

EncryptedBytes Registered Member

Assuming your neighbor is using a script sniffer, he can only see your router's BSSID, Channel, encryption type, and client mac addresses when they are connected to your Wlan.

To simply view who is on your LAN or WLAN at any given time you can access your routers client table, some even split it up between lan and wlan to make it easier. If you want to see what has access to your network over time simply enable logging on your router. These settings are usually under Security or Administration if you use default router firmware.

Now if you are talking about being alerted the minute someone associates with your AP you will need to set up and configure an IDS (Intrusion detection system) which will require some good technical knowhow.
    There is no way to stop a computer from sniffing, ARP poisoning, or DOSing your network. This is why it is important to use strong encryption, use WPA2 when possible with 30+ character passphrases and change them every month or two. If you are really good with linux and have a free laptop or ipod touch laying around you can also set up WPA2-ENT with a radius server to really lock down your network.

11. parsec

parsec Registered Member

/local/galaxy_cluster/milky_way/sol_system/earth
    If someone is using your wifi/lan you can check the router (assuming you have one) to see who has/is logged.

12. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Except the only problem with that is a "good" hacker will watch/sniff a network and learn/write down the clients before ever approaching the network. The attacker's MAC would be changed to that of a known/associated client. This leaves no concerning trace and eliminates MAC locked router configs. A neighbor would have that amount of time and can even watch the time of day (patterns) for when you log on.

If you have a WEP router throw it in the trash. Get WPA2 and use a good password. By doing that you are safe unless a true Pro wants in. Nothing at my place would interest someone of that skill set.

13. EncryptedBytes

EncryptedBytes Registered Member

Actually with the amount of computing power available today, I would HIGHLY advise not using passwords. Use a passphrase of no less than 30 characters which you can salt with random symbols etc to add entropy. There are many online services which take advantage of rainbow tables, and wordlists aimed at WPA/2 passwords specifically. Also GPU cloud clustering services are available to rent, a hacker can invest less than $10 dollars and rent access to legal computing GPU clusters capable of attempting up to 4 billion password combinations a second as of 2011. The folly with WPA2 is when it is only used with a pre-shared key, as they can be remotely captured and cracked with the user being none the wiser.

I would advise, and may write a how to in the future, use WPA2-Enterprise with only AES encryption and EAP-TLS with elliptical curve certificates. If you are stuck with just PSK I would change the key at least every month if you are using more than 30 characters and misspell words to throw off those pesky hybrid dictionary attacks. Also

Most of the time they are more interested in your network to use as a launching pad or to use for illegal activities not so much to attack you. As the risk to an attacker is low. A modified Ipod touch can capture WPA handshakes as someone just walks around a neighborhood. Most home users do not enable logging and the authorities will be coming after you not them. A lot more people know how to do this then you may think.

14. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

WiFi is by nature quite promiscuous, transmitting all its packets to every body, multicasting. All routers who receive the packets read them and determine if they belong to it or not. If they do not belong, they are dropped or ignored.

Wireshark in certain configurations can capture all of the packets with the WiFi card in Monitor mode.
    Aircrack-ng, using airodump-ng, can show associations (which mac addresses are connected to a given SSID/ESSID) with a particular router.
    Kissmet is another tool that is capable of compiling this info.

If you are connected via Ethernet, then usually there is not any data being transmitted via WiFi. Exceptions would be of probe solicitations to determine a list of wireless access points when a WiFi card is plugged in during Ethernet usage. This usually occurs at specific intervals.

If you want to eliminate these transmissions, disable or remove WiFi cards while connecting via Ethernet. Also disable WiFi transmission at the router, unscrewing the antennae can eliminate transmissions.

15. marktor

marktor Registered Member

Im not really understanding your setup. If you have highspeed internet DSL/Cable etc. and you DO NOT have a wireless router there is virtually no way your neighbor could be using your internet. That is unless your ISP has some MAJOR networking issues and I dont even know if that is possible.

If you have a wireless router. It is pretty simple to detect if someone else is using your network with the tool Wireless Network Watcher. You can get it here: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_network_watcher.html
    When you run it it will list every single device connected to your wireless router at the time. If you see multiple devices and don't know what they are they someone else is on your network. As long as you use WPA on your router with a good password you should be safe. For further reading on other more thorough ways of detecting someone using your wifi see here: http://lifehacker.com/5738123/how-can-i-find-out-if-someones-using-my-wireless-network

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.