Is there a way to delete the old backup image to allow to the new one to be made

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Partyonj, Jun 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Partyonj

Partyonj Registered Member

I have 2 external drives. One I'm using to do differential backups and the other I want to make an image backup every week. But, I need to delete the old image in order to make room for the new image. Is there an option to do that? Or does anyone know the code to adjust the script to delete the old image before copying the new one?

Thanks

2. JosephB

JosephB Registered Member

Partyonj,

In the Scheduled Backups Screen, UN-Check the "Generate unique names for scheduled backups" (or, in the generated script, remove from all filename command/statement lines the suffix of "_$(YEAR)_$(MONTH)$(DAY)" at the then end of the backup filename(s).)

Then, everytime you run the backup it will overwrite the existing backup filename.

... However, it is dangerous, in my opinion, not to have at least 1 prior full image backup generation. What if the creation of new backup fails ? and you have a pc problem before its created successfully ... you have no prior backup to restore from.
    ... What happens after new backup is created (old one is overwritten) and then you discover that a virus was backed up in that image ... once again, you have no prior backup to restoe from.
    ... Personally, I keep 3 prior weekly generations as a minimum.
    ... I would suggest that you buy a new usb external hard drive with a larger capacity to hold at least 3 full image backup generations.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Excellent advice. Deleting the one and only backup prior to creating a new one is risky and having several historical backups is a good idea so you can roll-back further if necessary.

4. Partyonj

Partyonj Registered Member

Thanks for your help and advice. I really appreciate it!

5. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi everyone,
    I have always kept 3 backups on hand, since always, for obvious reasons.
    I even have 2 rescue disks in case one fails on D Day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.