Is there a way of reinstalling a Vista update patch?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by OliverK, Nov 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OliverK

OliverK Registered Member

I'm using Vista Ultimate on a laptop, and have recently had blue screens occur when coming out of sleep.

Did some searching on the net and discovered the "sfc /scannow" command to check the files.

BUT, when I rant that I got the message "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them".
    It then mentions a CBS.LOG file, which I looked at but found to be complete gibberish!! I do not understand a word of it, nor could find any mention (with quick scan) of what files are corrupt.

[By the way, does anyone know HOW you can locate which files are corrupt in that log file - it's enormous, mine is 13MB long!]

I do not have a separate Vista disk to be able to do a repair install. My Vista installation files are on a hidden partition on my hard drive. I don't want to trash my whole system and do a reinstall from scratch. (I'm assuming that I can't do a reinstall with this arrangement, but if I'm wrong I'd love someone to say so).

I thought I would try and reinstall the recent vista updates (KB941600 and KB941649), which I downloaded. I'm hoping those patches will correct the corrupted files. (those updates apparently fixed 'sleep' problems).

But when I try and install those files I get the message "The update does not apply to your system".

I'm guessing that the update sees that the new files are already installed and then stops.

Is there a way to force the update to install again and overwrite the files that are already there??

Any help appreciated.

Oliver

2. HAN

HAN Registered Member

My thought would be to try using System Restore to go back to a time before your issues. If that doesn't work, a re-install may be your only choice.

No matter what you end up doing, once you are going again, you might want to consider using an imaging program. It would give you the ability to to put your setup back as it was, including ALL programs and settings. I know my imaging program has saved me more than once...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.