Is there a version of Yahoo messenger that will NOT install spyware?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by SonyaM32, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonyaM32

SonyaM32 Registered Member

Hi,
    For the first time in ages I am not having a problem with spyware. I can run all kinds of spyware scans and they mostly come up clean.
    Since my computer crashed the last time, I am being carefull as to what I install because I do not want any problems, but I do want Yahoo Messenger :D
    Is there a version, maby an older version, that does not come with spyware?
    And what about up-dating Windows Messenger, the version I have now causes slow Windows startup? Does Windows messenger come with any spyware?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

3. SonyaM32

Thank you WSFuser :)
    I am assuming that version doesn't have spyware? :)
    Thanks

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

No , Windows Messenger is Microsoft product . How can you imagine Microsoft will distibute malware ? ? ? :blink: :thumb:

5. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I'm just wondering lol ... explicitely distributing malware ... probably not ... but sure is the main reason for all these wholes ... ... imho

6. WSFuser

i mostly chose version 6 because the later version come with all the voice chat n stuff :gack: :thumbd:

if u just want to IM on the yahoo network, u can try alternatives like gaim and miranda. both free.

7. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Do a custom install with YIM, instead of a standard install - then you can unselect stuff they install as standard.

8. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

even in the custom install you get that csmns thing

9. SonyaM32

Welp, I still haven't installed Yahoo messenger yet :D
    Also, ALL of my spyware scans are still coming up clean.
    I am wondering about the other alternatives you mentioned? You said "Yahoo network", does that mean I can install and use one of those, and still be able to talk to Yahoo users who are on my buddy list? I have never heard of those is the reason I ask.
    Thanks!

10. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Version 5.6 of Yahoo is clean and a lot lighter than the new versions. The basic IM and the webcam feature seem to be compatible but it won't send or receive files from the new version. Haven't tried the audio to see if it works with the new version. It still works with their calender and Yahoo insider if you use that stuff. One other little "fringe benefit" I've noticed with this version. They're not sending ads to it anymore. Used to need to block out the ads with firewall rules but it's not necessary anymore. I'm still using this version and it works fine.
    I don't know if this version can still be downloaded anywhere but I have a copy if you want it. The installer is slightly over 2.8mb.
    Rick

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Does Yahoo has spyware really? I doubt. I have used it and never found a spyware while using multiple scanners.

12. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Until now I didn't know YM installed spyware. I have been using 8 Beta (installed pre-TM) and noticed a while ago that the final had came out. I download and ran the 400k installer file and TM started popping up windows saying that it was installing "DollarSense" or such and I quarantined them. [EDIT--just ran it again and found it was Dollar Revenue adware it was trying to install]

I guess I will have to revert back to an older version or use Gaim which I liked when I used Linux.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
  13. WSFuser

yes that is how it works. if u have AIM or MSN messenger accounts, u can connect to those too.

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Did u check with any other scanner?

15. midway40

AdAware nor Spybot haven't taken notice of it. I had that experience I related and then ran across this thread. Looking back thru this thread I don't see where anyone has posted what kind of spyware it is supposed to install and what was used to identify it. So I don't know if I am getting a FP or not. TM's real-time spyware detection is still kind of new so it could be a possibility that it is a FP.

When TM discovers spyware during a scan it moves it into quarantine but does not identify it (in realtime it does). Instead it gives the location of the infected registry keys (though it only shows part of the key). I have been cleaning couple of infected keys that keeps showing up in scans ending with "...\ZoneMaps\Domains\neededware.com" which also showed up when when I installed YM8 a while ago. I just tried to go to the website indicated but TM blocked it saying it was a dangerous site (spyware).

I will have to pursue this later, it is early morning here, goodnight all!

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks. But I really don,t trust TM AS.

17. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I don't know for sure but last year my previous antivirus (Panda Titanium 2005) reported suspicious activity on my computer with TruPrevent exactly when I opened Yahoo Messenger's web-page . The browser crashed and I needed to restart . Might have been a FP but I have never touched Yahoo product since there, at least Panda though something suspicious o_O

Also their toolbar is so intrusive , IMO
    :thumb: :D

18. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

19. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Trillian works well too. The only draw back (more like a slight annoyance) is that all the emoticons do not translate well from one to the other. Many will show up as only the typed charecters instead of the image due to different codeing. I found this true at least with Yahoo to Trillian chat.

20. midway40

aigle, I got to thinking today that since TM didn't like the 400K installer file, I was wondering if the full version would do the same. I downloaded it from Softpedia and installed it this evening. Once again alarm bells were going off (though with different causes--it was only reporting "suspesious (sic) behavior settings") and I cancelled the install. I then turned off TM and installed YM. Afterwards I ran a complete spyware scan and the only thing that came up was a cookie.

But I am still o_O about the 400k installer file and the addition of registry files that makes references to a known spyware site (neededware). But since googling revealed no other references to this I will have to assume it is a FP. I will report this to the beta team and include the regkeys as well.

21. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Don't SoftPedia guarantee their downloads are 100% spyware free...

22. aigle

aigle Registered Member

In that case I will guess it to be a false positive that is probably detected by
    TM,s heuristics. It is not surprising to get false alarm during install of a legitimate application by any behaviour analyzer.

Just my thinking and i am no expert. U should write to TM,s support. They must be in the best position to comment.

23. Saw11_2000

Saw11_2000 Registered Member

I can confirm that TMIS 2007 did the same for me installing YIM, it said DollarSense was installing.

The behavior analysis and such worked as expected, warning that Yahoo was trying to make auto-start keys, and I'm happy with the performance of it.

Send it in for analysis. :)

24. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Do you really need Windows Messenger?

Gerard

25. midway40

I sent TM beta team a bug report last night. Hopefully I will hear from them soon.

[EDIT--just heard from them--they told me to expect a program update in a few days. I hope it also addresses the high RAM usage since I know it will run with a lot less]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.