Is there a keyboard shortcut to toggle Compiz on/off?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Eice, May 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eice

Eice Registered Member

I'm looking for an equivalent of KDE's Alt-Shift-F12 shortcut for GNOME.

I've more or less managed to sort out my video problems in Jaunty, and this is the last step in the process to make everything "tick", so to speak. Thanks in advance.

2. Arup

Arup Guest

sudo apt-get install fusion-icon

Make sure to install latest drivers from your card manufacturer's site, being latest it works out better than the one in repos.

3. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Thanks. I found something similar via Google, but if there's no keyboard shortcut I guess an icon would have to do.

Video issues are now worked around, and my update manager problems are fixed... which leaves no sound from speakers and no USB automount on boot to be solved. Still, two out of four ain't bad, I suppose.

Now if only I can get Chromium to work in Wine... Firefox just seems soooooo slow after one gets used to the latest Chromium nightlies. :(

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I am wondering if pysdm would handle the automount situation?

I found Firefox x64 in Ubuntu to be pretty snappy myself. That combined with the x64 flash alpha. But you're right, Chrome is fast. Opera x64 in Ubuntu is also quite fast.

5. Eice

Eice Registered Member

pysdm was the first thing I tried (it didn't work). The problem here is not only automount, Ubuntu cannot even see the USB drives on bootup. I have to unplug and replug them to be able to select them for mounting.

x64 bit here as well. Firefox isn't slow, but after using Chrome for ~1 month Firefox's XUL UI just seems terribly laggy. Heck even IE8 feels faster than it. Tried Opera, but it screws up Japanese fonts even worse than Firefox does... so no go.

But still, I'm happy. The dealbreaking problem is gone. :D Hope it doesn't reappear in Karmic...

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I had a similar situation in OzOS, which is based on Xubuntu. It was fine in one release, but the next release broke it, it wouldn't even see my 2nd HD, let alone allow me to do anything with it. So I was stumped there...

At least you've overcome your major hurdles, that's a good sign. Sometimes just brute force persistence gets you there in the end. :thumb:

7. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Doesn't really bode well for Linux's future, though.

I actually tried three other distros this month and spent at least one week on each trying to work out issues: Fedora left me without wireless (not even ndiswrapper helped), PCLinuxOS crashed and burned with corrupted graphics whenever I tried to logout, and Mandriva just sort of froze halfway through the boot process. Sabayon was next on the list, given Mrk's glowing review of it, but helping out my housemate with some Java problems on her Kubuntu install suddenly gave me some ideas. In the end my video problems on Ubuntu were actually solved by: 1) disabling Compiz, 2) using drivers off the ATI site instead of fglrx, and 3) using VLC instead of Totem. No clue why it works, but it does.

It's been an adventure, more or less. But compared to how (relatively) well Windows works right off a fresh install, I think it also illustrates quite well why Linux isn't ready for the masses, no matter what the fanboys may say. TBH, if it weren't for the fact that I need to pay $300 for Windows, I probably wouldn't have bothered spending all those weekends wrestling with Linux and swearing at my computer. :(

8. Arup

Arup Guest

In my case, quite a few times, I had to find solutions after fresh Windows install, from resolution problems to bsod with creative drivers and many more other issues like non functional web cam, tablet, sound card, list goes on, it ain't any better in Win world. However I have installed Ubuntu on different PCs from cutting edge to ancient and none threw me a curve. With standard hardware, Ubuntu works fine out of the box, the latest Jaunty x64 even gives you x64 Java which functions same as any Win install. Only thing is that you have to copy libflashplayer.so to the /usr/lib/mozila/plugin folder and that can be done easily via command line or gui, your choice.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I think it proves the point the grass alwalys looks greener on the otherside.
    wireless broke when I used fedora.
    java crashs more on linux than it does on windows. of course its sun's fault and I hope next version is better. currently java 6 update 12 on debian Lenny. I use update 13 on windows.
    some hi def game trailers dont load properly.
    I use java everyday so I need it to work.
    the third issue is creative's fault for concentrating on vista to much and completely forgetting about linux drivers.

when people say mac's dont crash well they really shouldnt. apple only has to support around 20models at a time. compare that to the millions of combos MS and linux have to support.

10. Arup

Arup Guest

I used Java update 13 on Hardy and now use the same installed via repos of Jaunty, it works fine, x64 plugin for FF runs well and none of the Java sites have crashed Opera or FF here.

11. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Just found the solution to this 5 minutes ago: add a "usb_storage" line (sans quotes) to /etc/modules.

Problem fixed!

Now if only I could coax some sound out of my speakers... :D

12. Arup

Arup Guest

Play with sound settings to see which one works out, usually ALSA should or Pulse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.