Is There A Better Faster Way To Clean Infected Systems?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DasFox, Aug 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I work as a tech, being doing it for years, but I have to admit to myself, am I doing it the only way you can, or just the only way I know how, which is to open apps like MB, SAS, Avira, Dr.WebCureIt, etc., and scan one by one.

Well a guy I know that wants me to work with him says he has a system to clean computers easier and faster, now of course I'm scratching my head asking, HOW?

I called him today and asked until I get to working with him if he'd email me and tell me how to do this, since cleaning infected computers is mainly what I end up doing...

What do you think, I wonder what this method, or application(s) is he's using...

THANKS

2. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

He backs up data, wipes the drive and installs a clean image or reinstalls the OS?

3. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

No he's saying he has a faster way to clean they system, not reinstall it...

4. thathagat

thathagat Guest

5. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

Maybe one "very good product" on boot up cd would get them all ?

I have no idea really !

Be interesting to hear what he has to say !

6. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Similar to the idea in the link posted by thathagat.

Except I remove the infected drive, either slave it to my machine or use an external drive enclosure. The nasties are dormant and are pretty much sitting ducks.

7. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Ok so that is about BartPE, UBCD4Win and AVIRA Rescue CD, but the question is, are one of these going to really get everything? I highly doubt this, and again you're going to have to use many products to remove infections, that's what I was getting on about before.

I guess in the end no matter what approach you take you're going to have to scan with several products to ensure effectivness and a clean box.

I've never used BartPE and UBCD4Win anyone care to share anything about the quality of removal on these tw

If you build with BartPE, or UBCD4Win and only use XP Pro SP2, are you going to be able to boot up if someone has Home installed or a different SP on XP Pro?

I've done this many times too, but I'm still asking about the scanning process, are we still going to have to go about all of this one program at a time?

Like I mentioned, scanning with many programs it seems is what it takes to get the job done...

THANKS

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  8. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

I will only scan with one at a time. I have always looked at it this way. Scanning is part of the job also probably the most time consuming. Just the way it is. Sometimes I`m lucky enough to be busy with two or three machines at a time. One or two are scanning one my require user interaction.

If your Friend has come up with the "be all-end all" solution to [MOVE]FAST[/MOVE] malware removal, if he has not patented it, Please do share. I know many here could benefit.

9. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

IMHO (and in my opinion only) i think that imaging program is the solution.
    I know that this will raise some questions, but i think that this is most simple way.
    Probably some bare metal restoring program will do the job.
    IMO and trought out the years i have learned that cleaning infected system will have to be done with variuos anti-malware programs.
    If we know, not just assume, that the system is infected one should probably have to do Full scan.
    Difference between quick and full scan is great. One full scan can consume a lot of time, and miltiple that with security programs that will have to be used it will takes hours.
    I know that for that time one can install whole system from scratch and even save some time.
    From the telling of one guy that also works with computers and sells them, the people in main company that he works for were telling him that all the installs were doing with Norton Ghost.
    If there aren't important data on the system or if they are backuped, restoring with imaging program seems the most logical choice for me.

10. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Yes I believe 100% if the system is to hosed just reinstall it, BUT at times you can't because customers don't have their software/restore cds, etc., so you're stuck cleaning it.

As far as BartPE and the UBCD I don't see any advantages with them, as far as the idea is concerned about 'Unloading' the system, when you can just boot into 'Safe Mode' and do scans, this is what I typically do when I can't get on the desktop and found it saves time too over placing the drive into another computer as a slave to scan with.

Safe Mode I think is a good way to go about it also...

THANKS

11. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

12. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

Maybe he's using ComboFix:
    http://www.combofix.org/

13. thathagat

thathagat Guest

the point is how can you be sure that it is a clean box after all that infection cleaning.....

14. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

Why are you asking the members of this Forum for the answer that your prospective business partner already possesses that will ultimately answer your question?
    You called your prospective business partner on the phone, why did you not then ask him for an briefing explaining to you his system to clean computers easier and faster?
    If your prospective business partner, to date, has not Emailed to you, your request, then I would conclude that this might not be an reliable and trustworthy business partnership.

HKEY1952

15. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I'm a Tech my man, don't need lessons on recovery cds... ;)

We're talking about scanning and cleaning tools, I just wanted to know if people go about it the tried and true method, one application at a time for scanning, that's all...

I'm still waiting on a reply, not sure...

You're like WAY off BASE here, and this has nothing to do with the questions I'm asking. I've known this guy for around 10 years.

Anyhow let's stick to the post PLEASE!

THANKS

I guess you could say that comes with experience...

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  16. GlobalForce

You're not any tech I'd let through my doors, and sorta figured I'd be wasting both breath and time. I promise, it won't happen again.

17. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

You don't seem to understand that sometimes people/companies need their computers back right away and you have no options other then cleaning.

You telling me you've never been down that road before, were all you can do is clean and there is no software to reinstall.

This laptop has no options to make recover cds from HP, it was before HP made the software option built into the system and just gave customers the CDs and my client doesn't have the time to wait on cds, he needs the computer for business. So if you've never been in this situation then you don't know what you're talking about.

You know I don't need the insults I happen to be a decent tech and that was very rude of you to make insults towards me when you have no clue as to my abilities. No one knows everything and I certainly don't and neither do you, therefore no one has the right to insult anyone acting like they are better then anyone else.

There are always going to be times when a customer doesn't have their OS cd, can't get one, or doesn't have the time to wait for it and you simply have to clean, now if you think that will never ever happen, well then I truly don't know about your dealings with the public and computing either...

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  18. GlobalForce

Yeah, you're right SuperStar - I should've :D known my place. Ta'think, a business guy that's too cheap to have a recovery solution in place, yeah, real shame. You're right again, I should've shown more respect. I find the peeps that pat themselves on the back the most are the ones that know the least when the chips hit the fan. Hey, maybe I'm wrong, but I'm certainly entitled.

19. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Why don't you simply stop being rude? I mean, what did I do to upset you so much that you can't just make a post and stay on topic?

It's not to often that I find a client in a situation without the software, or who can't wait to get it, but on the few occassions I run into this I don't mind cleaning a system and learning what is going on with it and what these infections are.

There's nothing wrong with gettting dirty once an awhile and learning how to clean out and restore a system...

There's also a fine line I didn't mention, I'm not always talking about a box that needs a reformatting also and reinstalling the system, what just because a box has a small amount of infections you're going to simply reformat and reinstall it, that's foolish.

My post was simply about asking fast and easier ways to scan and clean, no one ever mentioned anything about the LEVEL of problems, you made an assumption here over that, thinking somewhere along in the post, this was about a box that was hosed and it was better to just reformat it rather then cleaning, I never said anything of the sort and personally I don't know why we even got on that subject. I know when to clean and when to reformat, that wasn't my post...

20. HKEY1952

So can you educate all of us how DasFox can recover this HP Laptop with the misfortune of not having an recovery CD...............I think the chips just hit the fan.

HKEY1952

21. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I have no idea what the guy is using, as long as he realizes effectiveness is more important than faster and easier. It has to clean at least as effectively as the method you're using.

22. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

May I remind all the members who have posted, and those itching to jump into the fray, to take a step back... breathe... and let's get back on topic.

Otherwise, this thread could find itself in The Time-Out Room or closed.

JRViejo

23. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Yes EFFECTIVE too....

Yes, I don't know why everyone started getting into a recovery bash feast here, we're only talking about good cleaning methods, nothing else...

THANKS

24. HKEY1952

Yes, I agree, effectiveness in cleaning is more important than speed and ease in an repair procedure.

@DasFox, I can tell by your Posts that you are an good technician and you should be proud of that.
    Good luck with your new business venture and congratulations.
    You asked for opinions and advice on this Forum partner.....and you got it.....have an good one.

HKEY1952

25. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Thanks for your vote here, but there isn't any new business venture, or anything to congratulate on, but thanks the same.

I also wouldn't say I got it as far as advice went either, just some advice, not a lot. I do appreciate the advice, but I'm still looking for what would be considered the best EFFECTIVE ways, I guess it seems to be a matter of opinion. Noticed I said effective now... :)

THANKS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.