Is the WOT extension a scam.?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by The Red Moon, Aug 23, 2015.

1. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

First off i must apologise as i have not done a forum search on this and rather just created a new thread,I use this extension in firefox and upon research i notice there are an awful lot of negative articles about WOT and just wondered if this extension is indeed a scam and what other browser based add-ons which are similar is available.

Thanks.

2. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Interesting, could you post some links for the articles? Please.

3. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

4. PallMall

PallMall Guest

5. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I have used WOT for several years, I see it as just another tool rather than a scam, it would be that if they charged money for its services and they were fraudulent. I just think it is what it is.

6. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

What's a good Firefox extension alternative?

7. PallMall

PallMall Guest

I've said my truth concerning WOT as an extension. Remains users' plain comments (which I detach from a globally cooked score), interesting IMO when they include substance, links, a critical word free of demagogy (and it is often the case yet not always). Those comments may catch our attention when they are many to describe a common like or dislike.
    WOT Scorecard and for instance WOT Scorecard about wilderssecurity.com or WOT Scorecard about spotify.com ...

Just for extra information, I do not endorse more than that.

8. PallMall

PallMall Guest

An alternative to a Firefox extension? Tough question. Could you please re-formulate?

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

10. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

11. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

I've used it for years and also tested it against malicious links and it's done pretty darn good.

12. Rico

Rico Registered Member

13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I like BitDefender, and maybe Avast/Avira. Otherwise, I don't have any recommendations.

14. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

Here's a review that I found interesting
    https://mywotlies.wordpress.com/

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2015
  15. AutoCascade

AutoCascade Registered Member

All it is are user opinions of websites. I tried it a long time ago and when I read some of the reasons why a website is rated untrustworthy or whatever I realized how useless it actually was.

16. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

It's not a scam, but is not a reliable source of information - just like SiteAdvisor.

17. Daveski17

I thought it was much more than user opinion.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/WOT_Services

18. AutoCascade

If you use Chrome, Chromium, Firefox or Safari you already have access to Google Safe Browsing. I also subscribe to several block lists using uMatrix.

What do inaccurate or biased opinions of websites add to that?

I'm not saying its a scam but I wouldn't expend any resources on having this extension on my syste.

19. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

I'm yet to understand all this WOT bashing.
    I've been using it for 7 years and it never failed me, never failed and the user's comments are a plus.

I can say this about the bashers: going through FF add-ons user feedback most are either site owners who sell snake oil ("alternative" medicine, religious sects...) people who dislike their opinion contradicted, people who don't understand what the extension does and decide to rate it 1 star accordingly...

Don't like it? don't use it.

20. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@Joxx The ratings given to websites are questionable at times, and in such cases often users make untrue claims about the websites they are commenting on. It would be nice if users were required to give evidence to back up their claims.

I would have no problem with WOT if it was a reliable source of information. But, unfortunately it's not, and will almost certainly never will be. The same can be said for SiteAdvisor, which I've been banned from a few times for giving accurate ratings.

21. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

I've never had a problem with WOT...:thumb:

22. Daveski17

I know there are some controversial aspects of WOT, and it's interesting what you say about Google Safe Browsing, but the user opinion is the least useful or important attribute of WOT IMO.

23. AutoCascade

How does WOT make money?

24. Daveski17

Good question. According to Wiki; 'To generate revenue WOT licenses the use of its reputation database to other businesses.', so, I'm not too sure lol.

25. pegas

pegas Registered Member

I wouldn't dare to say that WOT is a scam. I would rather call it as an advisory tool. It relies on users' rating of websites. So it naturally brings a human factor, i.e. everybody has a different opinion on how a site is dangerous. For one a site which links to adult webpage is dangerous but for others not. No question that tools which work based on AV definitions, heuristics etc. are definitely better. On the other hand it is fair to say that many AV companies use WOT ratings as a supportive factor.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.