Is the program called RegistryFix any good?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by oddworld, Apr 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oddworld

oddworld Registered Member

Anyone ever used this program?

It looks interesting.

I downloaded the trial version and it found like over 500 problems in my registry but I was afraid to hit the fix problem button.

2. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Can't say I ever heard about it. o_O

I tend to stick to the well known, because you never know whether you'll buy a good one or one which could do a lot of harm to your system.
    Pretty satisfied with Ace Utilities, RegSupreme and TuneUp Utilties, so I don't need another. :D

Some previous topics on registry cleaners:
    - Registry cleaner for "idiots"
    - Do you really need that registry cleaner ?

and you'll probably find a lot of other topics too. ;)

Best move this topic to Software. :D TIA

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2006
  3. azumi21

azumi21 Registered Member

4. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,Oddworld: I have Registry Fix in my PC,and have been using for 6 months or so. It works all right. Make sure to do system restore before deleting any errors until you have gained confidence. You may want to use it along with registry mechanic. Good luck.:thumb:

5. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Top Registry Cleaners I use are in no particular order:

Jv16 PowerTools
    Advanced System Optimizer
    Registry First Aid
    Registry Mechanic

Funny thing is each finds different things at different scan times. One might say no errors and the others will still find something. Careful with the Jv16 registry fixer, pretty powerful, but check what you delete first.

dja2k

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

That's what I noticed too, when I used these registry cleaners.
    As a first time user, I expected at least the same results from these registry cleaners. Oh boy, was I wrong.
    There was only one conclusion for me : different results = different programmer = different quality.
    What do I know about registry ? Nothing, which automatically means I'm not qualified to use registry cleaners.

Besides the programmer and me, there is a third party involved : the bad guys and I can understand, why they love to compromise the registry : most users don't even know about registry.
    So that's the perfect place for the bad guy to fool the majority of users, including myself.

Besides the programmer, me and the bad guys, there is even a fourth unexpected party involved : the good guys, who write bad uninstall programs and create a mess in the registry by not removing everything.

Now comes the funny part : I'm the most unqualified party of all parties to solve all these problems. :D :D :D

7. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

.. talking 'bout selfreflection .. I have used many registry cleaners and lots of them seemed beta software after a while .. I had numerous occasions where I had probs after rebooting, programs not running anymore .. .. I remember the registry cleaner of "VCOM SystemSuite™.." .. it found over 300 registry items/remnants/...that could be deleted. I had to start all over again ..
    Now I'm using CCleaner and never experienced any problem so far :)
    there are some other files to delete manualy ..
    C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Installations\ ..
    C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\ ..
    C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\ ..
    C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\ ..

regards,

8. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I would go for

free: CCleaner
    paid: jv16 Power tools

No answer to your question I realize but......

Gerard

9. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

I remember me the registry cleaner in VCOM SystemSuite very well: a very dangerous one.

I have the same experiences....

10. ErikAlbert

Suppose I install winXPproSP2 from scratch off-line to avoid any possible infection.
    In that case, I would have a CLEAN system with only winXPproSP2-registries.

Right after that, I install five of the best registry cleaners, off-line again and I run all five, one by one.
    If it is a SAFE registry cleaner, it wouldn't report anything.
    If it is an UNSAFE registry cleaner, it would report something and that would be a false positive without ANY DOUBT.

What do you think about this simple test ?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
  11. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Erik, Right after installing a fresh XP PRO, I install CCleaner and it always finds over 20 registry entries safe to be deleted ... that has been my experience from a long time ago lol but doing this with let's say Vcom Registry Cleaner .. I bet my whole system gets corrupt and formatting/reinstalling is the only solution .. that is if you don't have SU/TI installed lol ;) ...
    XP by itself leaves many many redundant reg entries I suppose ..

12. ErikAlbert

Yes, but you tested only CCleaner and enough members claim that CCleaner is good, except for the registry cleaning.
    Another point for discussion is : are these winXPproSP2-registry really redundant? Maybe they are there for future use?

13. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, may I ask you a small question? , the reg cleaner of VCOM you refered here is the same as registry fixer of VCOM fix-it utilities ? I have it just 2 weeks ago. After the first scan,WOW, 200 or so errors, looks awful, but luckily it has identified these errors into three(3) groups: safe to delete, questionalbe to delete, and your own risk to delete. I just chose the first option(safe to delete), and found no lingering after shock at all. Now I am using it along with registry mechanic and registry cleaner of tuneup utilities; (have since dropped registry fix), to do daily clean-up, occasionally using registry crawler to get rid of remnants. Smooth sailing each time!:thumb:

14. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

It's the same one.

And i can only advice you: don't use that reg-cleaner!

15. Perman

Perman Registered Member

I will take your advice, and to alter my game plan, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.