is the latest shadow defender safe???

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by taleblou, Mar 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Hi:

I just checked and wanted to update mine from v. 355 to version 370 and mcafee site advisor rated site dangerous and virus total scan of the v. 370 installer has 2 detection by Norton and trendmicro. Previously the file had 1 detection and now it turned into 2 detection.

So does anyone know if these are false positive or is this version safeo_O Thanks in advance.

2. pegr

pegr Registered Member

They are false positives.

I updated to version 1.2.0.370 with no problems at all. Shadow Defender is under active development again and we have a new Shadow Defender forum thanks to Patrick, so all is now looking good again.

3. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

Yes :thumb:

4. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Thanks. By the way I saw the latest test of shadow defender and others similar like time freeze and even sandboxes. All of them and although all the rest with the exception of shadow defender and sandboxie failed mostly on TDL4 rootkit out of 5 MBR/rootkit malwares test, BUT SHADOW DEFENSE FAILED ON A BACKDOOR THAT MOST OF THE REST OF THE APPS PASSED. The only application in the test to pass all of them was SANDBOXIE.

I paid close attention to toolwiz time freeze and shadow defender, while shadow defender failed a backdoor, time freeze failed the TDL4.:cautious: :blink: o_O

5. littleturle

littleturle Registered Member

only virtualization is not the 100% safe now. I use Toolwiz Timefreeze + Avira.

6. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Source?

7. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

taleblou,

Yes those are false positives, but as littleturle suggests (above), no virtualization program is a 100% safe security solution! I, and many others here, rely on a 'layered' security approach using a combination of different types of security products (mine can be seen in my signature).

TS

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  8. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

-->http://www.youtube.com/user/testzabezpieczenpc?feature=watch<--

9. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Shadow, while I respect your knowledge on that subject, I would say that if Sandboxie isn't a 100% safe security solution, it comes darn close (when used 'properly')! ;)

Cruise

10. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Well, keep in mind, we are talking what's theoretically possible. Just because something fails with any particular app doesn't mean much in reality, most of these have to target the user - knowing they use the app in question. Is that likely? Not by a mile. Is it theoretically possible? Yes.

`

11. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

LockBox, I don't see where you are coming from - how does this apply to my statement (post #9)? o_O

12. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

It doesn't. My apologies, I meant to quote another poster. I'm sure you were baffled.

`

13. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Time freeze is not to be used as protection against malware.Only for testing software etc.

14. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Is this the program where the developer went missing for a long time? Who is behind the program now? The homepage does not give much info and when I try to access the forum via the link on their homepage, mbam stops this as a potentially malicious website and the Helppage comes up with an error message.

15. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

Hi, There is nothing malicious about The Official Shadow Defender Forum
    I've written to Malwarebytes about this false positive that is preventing users from using the forum. I wrote to them and didn't even receive an acknowledgement or reply.
    I use Malwarebytes and I backup the whole forum every evening to my own pc and Malwarebytes and Avast Pro both say it is clean. I would ask any member that is effected by this to contact Malwarebytes.

Patrick

just checked backups with Malwarebytes...nothing found 15:34 26 May 2013

16. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

As for the forum, Malwarebyte has addressed the issue and there are no more alerts.

17. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

It's disturbing that particular AS would even flag it at all when top rated AV's find it ok.

I don't use MBAM and never was able to warm up to it anyway due to varying surprise issues that always seem to accompany it on my machines despite its apparent popularity. FP's plus slow scanning speeds is been my experience with it.

As for Shadow Defender Forum its been clean since Patrick opened it. I wonder if MBAM flags kernelmode forums where there are links to some real risks if activated locally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.