is the free zone alarm any good?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by toploader, Aug 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toploader

toploader Registered Member

at the moment i'm using the xp2 firewall - how good this is i don't know -does it stop trojans from transmitting info out of the pc onto the net?

as i'm on a dial-up connection i haven't taken firewalls very seriously as i was under the impression you only needed one if you were using always on broadband. having become aware of keyloggers and what they can do i'm not so sure now so i'm thinking of installing a freebie firewall - zone alarm is favourite.

is zone alarm any better than xp2 firewall? or do i have to pay for a commercial version to get sufficient protection? (assuming commercial versions are any better)

does it detect trojans? does it block them? does it alert you?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I using ZA 6.0.631.003 free right now. I'm behind a router and use it to monitor outbound connections.
    It installs well, and uninstalls well. It gives me no slowdowns at all.
    Trouble free for me.

Zone Alarm

Last edited: Aug 23, 2005
  3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I also use the free ver.6 Zonealarm and it does seem to run well. ;)

4. toploader

hi Ronjor - thanks for the reply - i think perhaps my topic title should have been are free firewalls any good or do you get what you pay for?

naturally it's nice to get something for free but as the cost of missing a trojan can be so high i do wonder if i should go for a commercial product?

5. toploader

i see in another post you run kerio free as well BigC. do you run them both at the same time or do you have a favourite?

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I am not too enchanted with firewalls that "do it all". While they have a place for some users, it is not my preference.

I would give ZA a try. You can install it as a trial or freeware.

7. toploader

i guess the main reason i want to install a firewall is to stop trojans sending data out of the pc - i would like to know if Zone Alarm can stop that before installing. - perhaps Kaspersky is a better way to go?

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Any firewall should alert you to unknown outgoing connections. If you prefer to roll all malware protection into your firewall, it's an option.

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

There are many free firewalls which do a great job, perhaps even better than many of the ones you have to pay for. Just because you spend money on it, doesn't always guarantee it's any better.

10. toploader

i will give the free zone alarm a go and then consider whether to go for kaspersky as well - which seems to be the best at detecting trojans.

11. toploader

i've installed free zone alarm to try it out

12. toploader

zone alarm installed

ok i installed zone alarm free - rebooted the computer and it came up with a message asking me to view the video - when i tried to connect to the internet nothing happened - it seems that zone alarm had automatically locked internet access - once i unlocked it i was able to logon.

if this was the case it would have been nice of zone alarm to let me know it had done this rather than leave me scrabbling around wondering what had happened to all my internet connections. things are often unclear when starting a program for the first time - it takes time to become familiar with it.

it also says it can't detect any anti-virus running which must be news to AVG as it is sitting there monitoring.

let's hope it's ability to detect the bad guys is better than it's detection of the good guys.

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

ZA won't detect all antivirus programs. As long as you can detect your antivirus program, that's what counts.

14. toploader

it's there - but whether it's detecting any viruses or trojans is another question entirely :D

15. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

One thing for sure, using AVG is 100% better than not using an antivirus program. :D Hopefully, there is nothing to detect.

16. bigc73542

I change them around every so often just for something to do. I never have two firewalls installed at the same time though. At the present time I like the new version of ZA pretty well it does't have a performance like some of the past versions did.

17. toploader

performance? did the older versions sing and dance? (i presume you mean performance issues) :D

18. toploader

it's a jungle out there Ronjor :D

19. bigc73542

(performance drag.) Sorry about that. It is pretty good but I don't know if it could dance or not :D

20. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Although not the free version, i run a long obsolete version of ZA+(no updates now for a year) and continue to stick with it as it runs very well on my machine and has never let me down. ;) :D

snowbound

21. toploader

at the moment it's alerting me about every 10 minutes telling me it's blocked access from some IP address or other, including what appears to be my main internet provider - i think it's trying to impress me so i won't swap it for something else :D

22. toploader

that's encouraging news Snowbound - i'm still not totally convinced there isn't some sneaky keylogger in my system transmitting all my online transaction details.

23. Outstanding

Outstanding Guest

ZA is outstanding in all regards. And it's free. Version 6 is the best release yet, without a doubt.

24. toploader

well it's running now in place of xp2 firewall ( i wonder how good that is?)

25. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Toploader,
    You have already gotten some good advice from some of the best around the Wilders, but I would add this.

If you are on a PC budget like me, (tho I bought Out Post Pro with Life Time upgrades), go with a free software firewall and spend your $$ elsewhere. A trojan killer app. of your choice. Or perhaps an AV that is payware that has more features to work with, if you are using free. Perhaps some data backup apps. Firewalls need only be paid for if you want the additional features. I also believe out of all security products for your machine there are lots of excellent free choices of firewalls. More then any other security app.

Firewalls that are free work fine when compared to pay ones. Pay ones load you up with features. You may not want or need that burden your system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.