Is the following trick enough to stop all malwares downloads?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by CoolWebSearch, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

Well, I not sure about your system
    but IF my get's any type of infection "which is very, very rare"
    a re-image has always solved the problem
    and until that fails me I will stick to something that has proven itself
    over and over again:D

2. My problem with that is it's bad advice. Modern malware isn't about inconveniencing people, it's about making money; an undetected infection can result in all manner of trouble. Backups are of huge importance, but they're not a panacea.

3. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Your approach should be to lessen your attack surface as much as you can to begin with. Because this not only makes you more secure, but also frees up more of your (limited) resources. 2 birds... 1 stone.

This means disabling unnecessary services, and closing the ports they had hanging open or listening in on, the vulnerabilities associated with them. But don't blindly go in there winging it, you can break stuff. Always have images first before experimenting. I don't have any vulnerable services running prone to exploits in the first place. Don't run Java. Don't use a PDF reader. Don't use .NET Framework. The only thing on my box that really has an attack surface prone to vulnerabilities is Flash player. So I greatly diminish the need for a tool such as EMET. And it's a good thing, because I see so many stories of it conflicting with, well... just about everything. And it's very heavy. I have DEP always on, which can be done via a tweak on XP. That's it, and that's enough for me personally.

I now run with 2 GB or RAM, and honestly notice no diff. whatsoever from when I had only 1 GB. Because I rarely used even half of the 1 GB I had. The highest my cache ever gets up to is 600+MB, and that's after having my box on for a week straight and using just about every program I have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.