Is the default SandboxIE enough?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I am not that familiar with the rules for SandboxIE but I have been playing around with the settings and have managed to find some more rules to add....

ClosedFilePath=!firefox.exe,\Device\Afd*
    ClosedFilePath=!firefox.exe,\Device\Tcp
    ClosedFilePath=!firefox.exe,\Device\Udp
    ClosedFilePath=!firefox.exe,\Device\RawIp

I added those right after the default

OpenKeyPath=firefox.exe,HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Mozilla Firefox

rule. I am only interested in being able to recover files I download to another drive, so that said, I only have the path to that download folder under the recovery options.

Anyways, are the default rules plus those other four enough or have you SandboxIE users come up with some more?

dja2k

2. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Some of the beta testers are having a look at some extra ini settings with plans ahead for Sandboxie being able to set these extra ini lines through it's gui.

You could keep an eye on the "Anything Else" topics at Sandboxie's forum.

Last page of a thread discussing those extra ini settings.
    Link

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

The only extra settings I have is to protect the My Documents area. I figure my firewall (OA) takes care of outbound.

Pete

4. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Yeah Pete I saw somewhere around here that you added a "ClosedFilePath" to the "My Documents" or something like that.

dja2k

5. Peter2150

The exact line you need is

ClosedFilePath=%Personal%

Simple and effective.

6. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Thanks again Pete

dja2k

7. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Thanks Franklin for giving me that information, it has been very helpful. I've learned how to secure the .ini file even more than default.

dja2k

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  8. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Peter, can you please explain exactly what this accomplishes, where to enter it and if this is the exact entry less the quotation marks "ClosedFilePath=%Personal%"? Thank You!

9. Peter2150

Hi Ratchet

Open the main window, and click on configuration. Then click on configuraton, and the click on edit configuration. Then copy and paste the line just as I typed it. After that close the txt file and click on reload configuation.

ClosedFilePath=%Personal%

What this does is block access to My Documents from with the then sandbox.
    If you download a file and specify a folder in the sandbox it will block it. Also see this screen shot. I opened windows explorer in the sandbox and clicked on My Documents. This prevents anything that might come to you via malicious download can't access anything in My Documents.

Pete

Attached Files:

10. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Got it, thank you!

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Doug Knox, the guru of windows tweaks via vbs * reg files fame, has a nifty little compiled tool that lets you RENAME My Documents/My Computer etc.

I wonder if something as simple as a name change would throw an intrusion/spy off the track in the same way, or not.

BTW, my thanks to for the tips on Sandboxie. I'm getting to really like this program more each day.

12. 37morris8

37morris8 Registered Member

============================================================
    no have a look at eEye.com mic got a fix for it if you got vista & word. IE7 not good may be Firefox better.

13. 37morris8

37morris8 Registered Member

============================================================
    no have a look at eEye.com mic got a fix for it if you got vista & word. IE7 not good may be Firefox better.PS I rename computer to PC ok so I give it a go

14. Peter2150

If you are running Sandboxie, why bother. Renaming it might mess something else up.

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Well, having GREAT faith in Doug's experience with Windows, i went ahead against caution. I'm pleased to report there are absolutely no ill affects whatsoever.

Being the Customizing fanatic i am coupled with my fierce distaste of $M's mockery of artistic values, or lack thereof themselves, i press on when it comes to decorating the screen. :cool:

We can now SAFELY rename a few System Icons courtesy the tool and do away with the repetition.

I haven't tested Sandboxie yet to see if it regards the name change but i suspect it will still consider My Documents as just that, and so on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.