Is TDS3 working ?

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Jean-Claude, Jan 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude Guest

Hello,
    I have just purchased TDS-3 (yeahhh) but since it is weekend in OZ I will only recieve my license next week (boooo)!
    I the meantime I downloaded and installed the trial version but it I have a few doubts. I do think "internal" security is working but I went on closed my firewall (Kerio) and ran some tests from PCFlank and GRC that obviously showed some ports as "CLOSED" (as opposed to "STEALTH" when firewall is running) but TDS did not give any signs that the port were being probed, I have the main window opened but nothing is showing in real time, now I have read here several users mentioning there are seing their ports being probed and all and see it real time.
    What am I missing ??
    I also have a D-Link router.
    I have added TDS3.exe to my friewall allowing it bi-directional access to all ports/all protocols.
    But, with or without the firewall running TDS3 doesn't seem to be doing a thing and I know the probes from PCFlank and GRC are working since they show the ports as "CLOSED"

Since I just bought TDS maybe I am missing something network related I need to "activate" ??
    Any help would be greatly apreciated

2. Robert Smith

Robert Smith Guest

Hi Jean-Claude,

Hi don't think you undertsood the real purpose of Tds3 ... It's an anti trojan app not a firewall

Kind regards, Robert

3. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi there,
    You can activate the sockets protection (upper right corner) for trojan ports, which will give some alerts when appropriate. Since you're behind a router i expect that one to block probes to your system.
    You can also install Port Explorer (free trial on the website too) and see all activity on ports connected to and by what and study the log, spy on such sockets and processes, etc.
    Guess you'll like the combination!

4. Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude Guest

Thank you guys.
    I did understood the objective of using TDS3 (I think lol) and I realize it is not a firewall, but I ran a few scans ans such and nothing happened, nothing found or detected so was just wondering if I am missing something.
    I also bought Process Guard, which I am really enjoying but how diferent is TDS3's execution protection from what PG does ? I can't tell yet since I have not yet recieved my TDS3 key and can't install it's execution protection feature.
    PG is good but not that good since some features could be added, I am thinking of some great features found in Tiny Firewall system protection features, so, PG and TDS3 combined should be quite nice. I am running Firefox as a browser, SpySweeper, Kasperski, Process Guard, Kerio Firewall, Protowall and now TDS3 so I think that what I mostly could do about my system's security, I did :)

5. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

I think:

Tiny Firewall 6= PG+SSM+RegRun

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

My guess is that as you are behind a router TDS3 sockets feature will not see anything aimed at your ports from outside as your router is stopping the probes.
    If you wish to see probes on certain ports, I am sure that you will have to use some kind of port forwarding to the particular ports in your router's configuration. Also if you have a software firewall you may have to create rules to allow those ports to be seen.
    Your router,s log is the best place to see the scans and depending what router you have you may want to use an add on logger if one is available.
    Port Explorer will allow you to see all connections into and out of your machine.

HTH Pilli

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.