Is TDS-3/4 fading?

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Antibuddha, Feb 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antibuddha

Antibuddha Registered Member

I know that TDS-3 has a large dedicated following and since it was one of the earliest and is probably the best known Anti-Trojan among the well informed, I hesitate to question what is going on. I've more or less scoured the web reading forums, reviews, user comments, etc., trying to decide who is now leading or will lead the pack and deserves my subscription dollar. Is TDS-3 living off of its former glory and not investing in product improvement? I've actually had my credit card out a couple of times at the DiamondCS website, but just couldn't pull the trigger. I see what appears to be failing interest in TDS-3. Perhaps part of that is due to the perception that the long awaited introduction of TDS-4 is in trouble. Of course people on the outside can't know what is going on inside Diamond, but I doubt if I'm the only one who seriously wonders if DiamondCS isn't trying to wring a few more bucks out of an aging product that's being overtaken by better run competitors and will eventually throw in the towel. I really would like an answer, but am thinking that it's going to take more than a paragraph or two of denial or a few angry posts from the faithful to answer the question.

2. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

From my point of view and I use most of the antitrojans and antiviruses on the market, I still find TDS3 better than any of the competitors when it comes to cleaning an infected system ( the only "better" product is Kapersky antivirus, and that is possibly better at preventing infections if correctly set, (I wouln't say it's any better at removing them) and that is due to it's massive database of problems and a lot more money and staff being available for development)

Yes it might have a poor GUI and problematic method of deletion of infected files/entries but I haven't found better yet

I don't think it's a case of wringing extra money with TDS 3 as it has been stated that any TDS3 user will get a free update to TDS4 when it arrives

I think the problem is that with the newere styles of malware/trojans that are being released and developed the Diamondcs boys (and Girls) want to make sure that the latest developments are included in a working efficient removal tool

It is extremely dificult to build an anti trojan that will cope with cleaning from all systems and as far s I see with Diamond they want TDS 4 to still work on the multitude of 9x systems still out there

It's quite simple to have a cleaner that will only work on XP/2k but that is a stupid approach for any developer and almost all of the malwares affect the different systems in different ways so different cleaning engines and techniques are needed

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Antibuddha,

I've been a TDS3 owner for a couple of years now and still believe that it is an important detection and diagnostic tool. I also believe that it is not lagging the competition. I do use it in a demand only context, which I will naturally reassess on the next version release.

As for DCS's approach, look only to ProcessGuard and how that has evolved since it's release. It is clear that a substantial amount of work went into that product up front and additional effort has had to be expended on it as it hit the mass market and issues that emerge only when a heterogeneous user base is involved came to the forefront. This effort will certainly bear some fruit in TDS4.

On a second front, the raw volume of malware has exploded over the past year. I only have to look at the signature database size to gain an appreciation of what's happening here. I happen to have an idled partition with an retired TDS3 installation. The signature database is August 2003 and is 1,036 kB in size. My current signature database size is 2,093 kB in size. That's a doubling in size in ~18 months. That explosion in malware volume simply has to effect the rate of progress on implementing the next version.

It is clear to me that the strategic decision to go in the direction implied by PG means DCS is by no means sitting on their laurels. They are certainly investing in the future. As they've already noted, some of these newer technologies will only be available under WIN2k/XP, while the program itself will run on WIN95 and above, see here.

At this time, I own every product produced by DCS. I don't see that changing in the forseeable future. Like you, I do look forward to the release of TDS4. Since I'm simply a user of DCS products, my comments really don't go beyond what is publically known by all.

I'll sign off as just a very satisified DCS user.

Blue

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi there!
    Just read the light blue link in my signature. I should add that thanks to all the DiamondCS education and on which i built on among others here i'm now a proud ASAP member.
    TDS has helped my and other peopel's systems around me a lot.
    Of course we like to recommend to add ProcessGuard and all the other DiamondCS tools (not to forget all those free tools from the products pages!) if you like to take layered protection seriously.
    Having a registered version gives access to the Private TDS forum and more goodies. You know already about the free upgrade to TDS-4 too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.