Is System Safety Monitor worth using?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Comp01, Oct 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I was wondering if System Safety monitor was a worthwhile program to use? I mean, it supposedly (or so I heard) suppose to be a good program, essential to PC security?

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Well, the answer is going to depend upon how much work you'll want to put into learning how to use it. It is a rather complex program because it is very powerful.

Depending upon how you set it up, you'll get warnings when new programs run and when new DLL files are accessed by programs. These alerts are going to ask you if you want to allow these programs or DLLs, so you'll need to understand a bit about what all these things are and what they are doing.

Many people feel very strongly about the value and power of SSM and they say they wouldn't run their computers without it.

Here are three threads from this forum section that asked a similar question and got some answers...

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=7855

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=4248

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=12562

Ultimately, the question of whether it is "worth using" will be a personal one only you can answer once you see how it works.

3. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Hmm, I think I will run it (Says on one of the topics, you can pass all "leaks" through firewalls) See how it goes, I can always uninstall it? :doubt:

4. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I have tried it, and like it, actually, its pretty easy to configure, So far, anyways.

5. JayK

JayK Poster

I've found it quite unstable. Power users/security pros who know what they are doing, will like it no doubt of course

6. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I found it unstable also :doubt: guess its back to square one, Although, I dont know how anything could get through, as I am currently running (In the background, or resident) AVG AntiVirus, SpywareGaurd, WinPatrol, RegProt, I hardly ever use Internet Explorer (Mostly Mozilla FireBird) so, I guess I really dont need it :doubt: does anyone have any idea of -something- like it I could use, thats a bit more stable? Because I also found, it semi-interfered with AVG's resident scanner ...

7. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

I haven't had any stability problems with SSM. I only recently installed the newest beta, but have run the previous version for 4 months or so. I was running RegProt until I installed SSM.

My good luck with SSM must be in the OS and environment, 'cause I'd wager I'm not as savvy a user as Comp01 or JayK :p

8. JayK

JayK Poster

Not sure about Comp01's experience, but you still lose the wager anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.