Is such testing practicable?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Feb 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

With various discussions that relate to layering a defense, I wonder if it would be reasonable to do a test that included AV plus applications like SAS and MBAM?

I realize it would be almost impossible to include all the security applications, but I do wish that a couple or three of the most used AM applications could be included.

I recall some years ago a member, I think it was Firefighter, conducted a series of test that included AVs without an AT and then the AV along side of an AT. Some AVs profited greatly, and others not so much.

I would like to see a few of the normally top rated suites or AV's and AM like SAS, MBAM, and A-squared combined one at a time. Then if two or three of the AVs which are in the second or third tier category were given the same tests, it would show how much additional layering, over and above a suite, really adds to security.

I am just thinking outloud because I don't think it will happen. But I can dream can't Io_O?

Regards,
    Jerry

2. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I think if it was possible it would be a great idea, but testing would take forever and the results would be out of date by the time all the testing is done. The tester would have to test each product 4+ times; once alone, once with antimalware A, once with antimalware B, and once with Antimalware C. By the time the tester has finished testing each product the malware the tester tested with will probably be detected by every antivirus the tester tested with.

I think it would be possible in youtube reviews but I don't think it would ever be possible to get an official testing company to come up with a fair rule system and have time to test dozens of products..

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

to much time on your hands Jer.;)

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Jeff,:thumb:

I guess so, because I have had the same suite, KIS, for so long.:D :D
    I'd change, but if I had any problems it would be frustrating for a guy like me that has trouble turning the system on and off.

I can say that my "tests" which consist of being careful and avoiding malware, have demonstrated that with an AV, MBAM, SAS, and Win Patrol I must have a bulletproof system. I have never been infected. Does that prove my system is bulletproof?

How are things with you? Lodore has been quiet lately, I think.

Best,
    Jerry

5. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

That's they way I am too, I don't like to change my main setup because I don't want to to destroy my machine. Sadly my machine came we no recovery disk and no OS disk :mad:

If I did not have the fear I would be switching my security setup much more than I do now :D

6. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Sounds like you need to create a backup disk image,then you can try out new stuff as much as you like.

7. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I would if I had a external hard drive :p

8. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Jerry, I tried to search on youtube for the test, but one of those testers, I thought it was languy99 or mrizos (I'm sure it was the second), did a test with some free products.

Microsoft security essentials, immunet and threatfire for example. I was trying to find the link but couldn't. Either way, the layered defence did do the trick, and of the samples used, nothing went through (from memory).

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, Saraceno,

I sometimes see posts that describe tests conducted by members here. I wonder if someone could just pick an AV or Suite that is most commonly used by folks (AVG free and Avast free are used) and run tests of the AV alone, and with a couple of AM applications.

I did bookmark the tests that I mentioned earlier by Firefighter in 2004. Here is the link.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=58597

In those tests Avast Home 4.5 alone scored 79.1%, but when running with Ewido scored 91%. It was a very interesting test, although there was some who were critical as always.

Regards,
    Jerry

10. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.