Is Steve Gibson a crook?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Benjamin C., Nov 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benjamin C.

Benjamin C. Guest

The other day I was surfing and I unfortunately found <www.grcsucks.com> As the url implies it's an anti-Steve Gibson/GRC site. I never thought of Steve Gibson as a fraud before or doubted his motives as a security/privacy advocate (his PC advice has helped me in the past). But, some of the anti-Steve articles they have are fairly convincing. I didn't see the names of any authors of 'grcsucks' so I was suspicious as to who's behind it. A GRC competitor perhaps? Spammers? Hackers? I did a search on Steve Gibson and found some conflicting opinions on him in other forums. I was wondering if any of what the site says is true. I'm hoping it's not. Someone please help clarify this.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Steve Gibson was the reason many early internet users became interested in computer security.
    He still hosts a forum with many respected members.
    He made small security apps available to Windows users at no cost.

He has my utmost respect for his efforts.

3. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

That site is as hard as old people's toenails and just as old..it keeps on showing up like an old peeny by people posting it anon. in various Security Forums rather that the grc forum to ask the questions...but nevertheless you can have fun reading it all again from 2002

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,3412574~mode=flat

Nanoprobes is another good subject to study.. ;)

No he is not a crook..but many were jealous of his success and others thought his theories were off base.

4. Benjamin C.

Benjamin C. Guest

Thanks alot for the quick responses ronjor and Primrose. I'll definitely take what was said into consideration. You'd think some people would have better things to do with their time than rip on helpful people like Steve who are dedicated to making the Internet a safer place. I don't see the guys from 'grcsucks' doing anything to contribute. I think Steve is doing a great job of honestly informing everyone and I'll continue to visit his site. Thanks again!

5. still_longhorn

still_longhorn Registered Member

A million Edsels does not negate the Model T. Gibson 's place in computer history will be guaranteed by Spinrite....

6. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

He's NOT a crook.

7. firefoxguy

firefoxguy Guest

He just isn't as expert as he presents himself.

But who cares right? There are always people better

8. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Amen to that Long ;) i am still trying to cook those raw socket .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.