Is Startup Scan Necessary? Vital?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Chamlin, Nov 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

On an XP Pro system with an Intel core2 duo E6750 @2.66GHz and 2GB of RAM, NOD32 v4.0.437.0 (default settings), the startup scan is just causing such a slowdown. Makes computing really a "drag".

Is the startup scan really important? How are you guys dealing with this?

Thanks,
    Chamlin

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The startup scan is another layer of protection that goes through all registry entries potentially containing malware and scans these files with maximum settings. So if an undetected piece of malware was already running and detection for it was added in an update, this would be detected immediately after the update.

In case the startup scan takes too long on your computer, you can edit the startup scan tasks and set them to run when the computer is idle or confine them to most frequently used files for instance.

3. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

You may temporarily disable the startup scan but as Marcos indicates, it is not recommended. Mine takes several minutes to complete, that has no big impact on my boot time. In other words, it is worth it.

4. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

Several minutes? Is there a log where I can see how long it takes on my system?

5. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Several minutes is correct, I do not know of a utility within NOD32 that does what you wish other than tweaking the start-up scan as Marcos indicated.

6. Paul2

Paul2 Registered Member

Same problem here. WinXP SP3, NOD23 v4. The startup scan makes my computer totally unusable for at least five minutes after power-on. This is unacceptable.

7. PhilD

PhilD Registered Member

Is the default startup scan launched at boot time ("automatic startup file check") any different than the default startup scan launched during a successful update of the virus signature database?"

i usually power on my computer once a day, and NOD immediately updates the database as soon as i log in. with the default configuration, the two scans listed above appear to run back to back. if the two scans are really identical, then it would make sense in my case to only run the latter. does anybody know? i didn't see any reference to this in the help file...

thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.