Is SpywareGuard still worth running?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by TopperID, Dec 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

I have been running SG for many months and during that time there have been no updates at all. With this in mind, just how much value is the signature based aspect of SG - is it even worth running at all?

I realise that there are other functions to SG, such as browser hijack warnings, but this protection is available from other products. Does the download protection aspect of SG achieve sufficient results to render it worth continuing to run?

One has to balance resource utilization against benefits gained. What do others feel?

2. ~*Nat*~

~*Nat*~ Registered Member

To be honest...I ask myself the same questions, TopperID.

This was not a very intelligent and informatic reply, I know, but wanted to let you know, you're not alone.

3. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I think this depends on the user, the pc, and other software that you may want to use or are using.

I keep SG installed and running as an added layer of protection (especially the heuristics aspect) and I don't find it using much resources, but then I've got plenty of extra power on this machine.

Should you be considering another application that you might replace SG with, I would say just try it out and see how things go. You can always reinstall SG anytime you want should you choose to use it again.

If you have the PC power and don't have any replacements in mind for the protections offered by SG, it sure isn't hurting anything being there, either.

4. ~*Nat*~

~*Nat*~ Registered Member

I wouldn't consider uninstalling SG and will keep it...as you said Detox,
    "as an added layer of protection ". But, an update someday would be useful, yes ?

5. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Offhand I suppose it could, but I'd really have to ask Javacool whether one was needed as I am admittedly unfamiliar with the specifics of SG's heuristic capabilities, etc. I would also probably prefer his time (as he is only one man) being dedicated to SWB updates - but of course this is just my personal opinion.

6. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

I've got the power, so I guess resource usage is less of a concern to me than perhaps to others. I'm thinking more about unnecessary duplication.

With your AV there is no argument about it, you can only run one resident so you make your choice. With anti-spyware it's different, you can have several apps all doing a similar thing! I have recently installed Giant, and if I could be sure SG was bringing something useful to the party I'd keep it on as well.

It's not like it was popping up balloons telling me it had caught this or that, SG is pretty silent, so I don't know whether it's doing a good job or not!

7. NevadaSmith

NevadaSmith Guest

Is SpywareGuard still worth running? I don't know, but something strange happend when I installed SP2. The tast manager says sgmain.exe is running but I don't have the SG in the task bar notification area any more. I reinstalled SG and the icon is still missing. Any Clues?

8. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

There have been cases where the SG icon doesn't show in the systray and sometimes the people can get it back, but sometimes they can't. The best bet is to look for related threads on this topic. Start with this one and trace through all the linked threads.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=35229

9. j2callie

j2callie Registered Member

I have something similar except that the SG isn't in the systray, sgmain.exe is also not on the running processes. It *is* in the systray on the Admin user, but not on the Limited acct I use most of the time. Does that mean it's not running for me, or IS running, but just doesn't show up on my taskmanager?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.