Is SpywareBlaster suppose 2b n system tray

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by ?Birddawg, Dec 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ?Birddawg

?Birddawg Guest

Was just curious if it should be in the system tray to do it's job , Thanks for any input. My email address is ****@southlink.us

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2004
  2. claire

claire Guest

Hi,

No Spywareblaster is a run once program.So it has not to be in the systray to do his job

Have a nice day :)

3. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi ?Birddawg. :)

Welcome to Wilders.

SpywareBlaster is not a running process so no need to keep it open. Just enable all protection and check for updates weekly and that's it.

Also, it is unwise to post your email address. I edited it to protect it from Harvesters and Spambots.

snowbound

4. snowbound

oops, claire beat me too it. :p :D :D

snowbound

5. ?Birddawg

?Birddawg Guest

Wow, I'm very impressed in the response time in me getting an answer, and thanks for editing my address. I will be adding this site to my favorites. I am very interested in Computer Security, however I am a novice. I would like to contribute something to the site, the only thing I can think of is , that I read in USA Today where Microsoft just bought Giant Antispyware Co. and will be releasing a free beta version within the next 30 days. Eric Howes (just Google his name) analyzed 20 Spyware programs and found Giant to be the best followed by Webroot's Spysweeper. There is alot of useful info on the website where Eric did his testing. Take care, J.C.

6. Under0ath

Under0ath Registered Member

Personally, I agree with Eric's statement. Giant i hear is supposed to be the "Godzilla" of
    anti-spyware, or so say some sources.

Webroot's SpySweeper is a brilliant program. Sometimes it gets annoying with one or two pop ups, but hey, with the protection it supplies, who really cares?

7. Birddawg

Birddawg Registered Member

Does anyone know where I can check to see a list of what the most current version of different Spyware programs are. For example, Spybot Search & Destroy is 1.3, AdAware is 1.05, SpywareBlaster is 3.2 , etc...... Thanks

8. snowbound

9. Firstshot

Firstshot Guest

10. Birddawg

I agree, how do you go about in downloading "the" legitimate program ? Go to Lavasoft site ? And as far as a list of all the current versions of good Spyware programs, I think I saw a list posted on DSLReports.com, but now I cant seem to find it. Thanks, J.C.

11. snowbound

Well, if u are interested in Ad-aware the Lavasoft site would be the place to go to get it.

snowbound

12. Birddawg

13. snowbound

Your welcome. :)

snowbound

14. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Hi Birddawg,

You'll find that most boards like this one have somewhere an updates-notices forum, which you can browse to find most of what you're looking for.

Sometimes that doesn't give the full story. In the case of AdAware SE, one of the versions gave many users the same problem, a lockup while deep-scanning the registry, and usually in the same place each time. It was corrected quickly enough, but no new version or build was assigned -- I'm guessing the program was actually ok to start with, but somehow got one or more of its files corrupted in the process of uploading to Majorgeeks.

And while Download.com is popular, treat it with caution -- on many occasions what they've offered is one or two versions (sometimes even more) out of date. The usual rule of thumb is to download directly from the publisher/developer, if at all possible.

Best,
    Mike

As a P.S. - the mods might want to split this part of the thread off into Software/Services, since we've wandered a little from where the topic started.

15. ????

???? Guest

Hi I get the fact that spywareblaster doesn't need to be open to do its job, but do I have to start it up each time I reboot or does it load automatically.

Can i put it in my windows startup folder and get it to load minimised?

16. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

I'm pretty sure it's just 'there' doing it's job. It has made changes to the registry which will be there permanently...or until you uninstall it.

17. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

All you need to do is remember to open SpywareBlaster once a week and check for updates (and then enable the latest protection). Then you can close it.

Other than that, it doesn't need to be open at all. :)

(There's also an AutoUpdate option, if you want the program to take care of keeping the protection up-to-date for you.)

Best regards,

-Javacool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.