Is Spybot Search & Destroy Still Worth The Time?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dionisiog, May 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dionisiog

dionisiog Registered Member

I have tried a lot of malware and anti-virus software, and the choices and quality of products available, even for free have dramatically improved over the past 5 years.

My favorites in terms of malware are now Malwarebytes and recently I have been using Spyware Terminator. It seems to be quite good, and actually has caught and managed to detect a few devices and even fragments of left over devices on one computer which is more vulnerable. That is a computer with an older, less updated version of Windows XP.

Before I put that software to work I had installed Spybot Search & Destroy after I had seemed to pick up some time of malware. SS&D did not manage to detect what the malware was... Eventually Malwarebytes did. It also seems to me (but what do I know?) that Spyware Search & Destroy has a dinosaur like diagnostic action. It takes forever to analyze what you have on your hard drive (it calls for a computer holiday just to use it). It takes forever just to load the software when you open it.

Is this software moving quickly to the day in which it's design is too out of date to consider? Does anyone here still consider it useful? I don't think that I have ever had it actually detect anything on my computer during a malware outbreak.

I'd like to hear what others think regarding this.

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  2. fax

fax Registered Member

3. falkor

falkor Registered Member

It is not up to par with mosy others out there . And if you use ANY antimalware software , this is NOT useful . Hope that helps:cool:

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

fax is correct. Let's keep all Spybot discussion going in that thread. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.