Is Spybot S&D a bit buggy these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Daveski17, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Has anyone had problems with Spybot S&D 1.6.2? I upgraded to 1.6.2 from 1.6.0 & it has been nothing but trouble. I found that I couldn't even uninstall it! I tried re-installing & all sorts of things. I would get a pop-up (almost certainly TeaTimer that should not have been activated anyway) informing me that an important change was taking place every time I tried to upgrade anything, such as Java. The pop-up would not click off even when I clicked 'allow'. When I tried to close down the computer it only did it begrudgingly & Windows would inform me I may lose work if I close. 1.6.2 seemed 'buggy' & eccentric from the start. o_O

I have finally managed to remove it & all of its files from my 'C' drive now (I think so). Even then it kept telling me I did not have authority to remove them. It really did not want to go! :eek:

I hate to lose Spybot because I thought the 'immunizer' was a good idea. I have SpywareBlaster still, so I should be OK. I just couldn't put up with all of its weirdness anymore. I hope Spybot 2 is a lot better. I may look at that when it comes out.

Has anyone else had any problems with Spybot 1.6.2?

SpywareBlaster: A sane application in an insane world!

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Daveski17, I did not have any problems with the transition from 1.6.0 to 1.6.2 and Spybot is running fine. Have Win XP SP2, run Spybot in Advanced mode and never used Tea Timer. I'm eager to see Spybot 2.0 as well.

I waited until the upgrade came via the normal Wednesday update, but once I saw it was there, I canceled the download and proceeded to Undo the Immunization, plus unchecked the Resident "SD Helper" protection status under Tools > Resident. Then, re-immunized and restored the SD Helper check mark after the 1.6.2 installation.

The above procedure has always insured a smooth installation of previous updates. Just FYI.

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Thanks. I am still a bit concerned about re-installing it however. I might look at Spybot 2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.