Is Skydrive and Google Drive of any help against file infectors?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by treehouse786, Sep 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

hiya folks, not sure which sub-forum to place this in so apologies if its incorrect.

i was researching the cryptolocker malware (which is frightening alot of people) and i just had a bit of a brain wave.

lets say a a user is using skydrive and/or google drive and they get hit with some sort of file encrypting malware like cryptolocker. wouldn't both the aforementioned cloud sync services infect the data stored in the cloud if left to upload without interruption?

if the above situation is possible, is there anything we could do to prevent it from happening? obviously aside from remaining infection free

2. guest

guest Guest

The best thing I can do:
    1. No syncing. If I wanted to upload my files to the cloud, I'll do that manually. It's time for the cave man in action. :cool:
    2. Have multiple backups of your backups of your backups of your files.

3. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

i suppose there is no way round it for cloud sync users apart from setting both services to not 'start automatically with windows' and instead just run the sync process manually but not forgetting to close the program once it finishes uploading.

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

They usually sync the newer files, which is bad if it's infected. They might also have AV scanners, not sure how it'll affect the files. There may be a way for one-way syncing from the cloud, but I wouldn't know how.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.