Is security a priority for you?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Hungry Man, Jun 19, 2011.

?

Is security your number one priority?

1. Yes, I put security above all else.

72 vote(s)
    58.1%
  2. No, I consider other things first.

52 vote(s)
    41.9%
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

When you consider installing an OS or program is security your priority?

Or do fancy GUIs, features, performance, ease of use, etc come first?

2. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

For me, security is a major priority, but I can't say it's above all else. The priority is building a system that is secure, performs well, and does what I need. I don't see how these can be separated. If a PC doesn't perform well or doesn't do what I need, it won't matter how secure it is. It won't be used.

Building security into a PC is a major factor from the moment I start building it. In the beginning stages of building that system, it takes the form of reducing the attack surface, usually by not installing components and services that I don't need. Often this begins with using XPlite or 98lite. An added benefit of reducing the attack surface is improving the systems performance by not wasting memory, resources, and CPU cycles on componnts you don't use. After that comes drivers, upgrades/updates and any utilities needed to complete the setup. Before the PC ever connects to the internet, I install my security apps and set up the rules for the core processes. After that, all that remains is equipping it and configuring the application and internet rules for the est of the apps.

3. Hungry Man

Yea, I agree. It's a priority but not my first. Ease of use is probably my biggest priority with performance second and security third. Everything else is sorta irrelevant.

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

The thread title and poll title/options are different. I think that should be changed.

Thread answer: Yes.
    Poll answer: No.

5. guest

guest Guest

Performance and usability always come first.

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

OOps i think i clicked on the wrong option :D
    I consider security very important but not above everything :rolleyes:

7. moontan

moontan Registered Member

for me, it's performance, stability, and convenience first.

there's always a convenience hit whenever you use any security product.
    i have a low tolerance for playing with and babysitting security apps.

i refuse to run more than 1 security app real-time.
    there's a fine line between security and paranoia and sometimes you have to say "enough is enough".

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Not anymore it isn't. I use an AV, AM, and Sandboxie, that is it, that is all there will ever be. I'm not going to spend a day or more "working around" anything, and no security app is going to deny anything. I don't bank online, I barely shop online and I don't use any social media bs.

9. Boost

Boost Registered Member

No

I use my PC for what it was meant to be used for,and that wasn't a security fortress.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  10. Carver

Carver Registered Member

But that is what you need in today's world a security fortress :D plus what you want too.

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Just..no, lol. It's the very last thing needed, and you'd have to be a geek, a paranoid, or a professional to want it that way.

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I don't think security can be compared to other aspects of computing. Unfortunately it has become an obsession which I could happily do without. It is much better now than how I felt 5 years ago, I used to think it was very serious to have an infected computer, nowadays I'm prepared to face any problem with very simple tools: sandboxing and backup images.

I do miss the days when I was browsing the Internet without any security, my thrill was to satisfy my information addiction. The security issue even being under control, still inhibits my browsing experience at times, as it is constantly at the back of my mind.

13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Very last thing needed? I guess useless junk or even malware is more needed then :rolleyes:.

14. Hungry Man

Certainly not the last thing needed. I wish more programs prioritized security.

15. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

No no, you read that wrong, JL. I don't for a minute believe security itself is the very last thing needed, just a "security fortress" as Carver stated. To not have anything at all is simply stupid.

16. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

In order of importance:

1. Performance

2. Security
    3. Features

(of what use does an app XXX that contains 999 features but can barely provide me the same level of security that YYY gives with just 1 or 2 sole features)

4. Ease of use

5. Fancy GUI
    (As long as it looks clean/neat and is easy to access settings, I'm fine with it. No need for special effects that uses resources unnecessarily. Just don't give me the "90s look".)

17. guest

guest Guest

@dw426

Security is important! If you don't think so, what are you doing in WildersSecurity forum? LOL, just joking.

I prefer to balance things up a bit. And I usually give more weight to performance and usability. Alas, I give much more weight to the performance and usability aspects. That may have something to do with not being infected since (circa) 2005. :isay:

@safeguy

ROFL! Fancy GUI is the last thing I look up at as well, definitely not a priority.

18. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

It is WildersSecurity after all...:argh:

19. stratoc

stratoc Guest

I feel I should have security. But I don't build pc's to run security products, I build them for games and programs, Compatibility, and performance are very important to me, If I see pop ups, experience slow down or connection issues, program gets removed.

20. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

My priority list:
    1. Security
    2. Performance
    3. Features & Compatibility
    4. Ease of use & Fancy GUI

21. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

1. Stability
    2. Performance
    3. Privacy
    4. Usability
    5. Security

right now my priority is making my OS as static as possible. I don't want any unnecessary traces/leftovers after my sessions.

22. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Since I am member of Wilders community, I consider malware to be just a bogus, so security is not my priority, like I use wifi, though I have a router only a few inches away.

23. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Priorities:

1. Stability

2. Useability

3. Security

4. Performance

5. Privacy.

24. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I think you folks are at the wrong forum. :D Why the heck are you here, if you don't consider security to be a priority? And, priority doesn't mean resource hog. ;)

25. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

So because I'm not gonna use my system as a lab, and the latest in malware and exploits doesn't keep me awake at night shivering, I'm not supposed to be here? :D I stay here to keep on top of what's going on in the world of security, to stay informed. You know what the highest percentage of this place contains? Flash is vulnerable again, such and such browser is now *insert percentage here*, "I'm right, you're wrong" threads that go on for pages. Beyond Lulsec and Anon, actually the world of security hasn't changed all that much outside of the social craze.

Excuse me for being bored with it? Lol. Sandboxie, an AV, a decent browser and my brain are all keeping me out of trouble.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.