Is Sandboxie Really Nessary

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Dieselman, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Sorry I wasn't clear. By keeping programs up to date, I mostly meant Java, Flash, QuickTime, Media Players, Browsers etc. I manually update everything. If I wasn't running a sandbox and my Java wasn't up to date and I went to a site that was hosting an exploit and my av missed it, then I could be in trouble. I guess my firewall would alert to an outbound. I really don't know.

In my mind, running a sandbox would make the Java exploit less of a threat because it's limited in what it could do and will be gone when I empty the sandbox. Plus I have the sandbox set to block access to D: and E: partitions where my data is stored so that a possible malware in the sandbox couldn't look at (steal) my data. At least this is the way I think it's all supposed to work.

Cheers,
    innerpeace

2. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Ok well innerpeace I installed it again and now I am running Firefox and Internet Explorer sandboxed. The concept is good but I download alot of stuff like wallpapers and things. So every time I am done browsing I need to recovery those things. Anyway of making those recovered items be automatic?

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Seems to me if you run your programs Sandboxed, especially the browser, you could use NOD32 like i do to scan potential hidden-ware and keep it confined, not only that but what happens when NOD32 misses something or it's specially targeted to close, then where are you?

IMO yes sandboxIE is as necessary as a virtual like Power Shadow or Returnil. I keep everything shadowed when the need is required because it can be easily entered on-the-fly and stop any time-consuming disaster or data loss BEFORE IT can happen.

But i also realize that my situation as a researcher is unique and very unlike others, i have multiple options or configurations from which to determine are best security. For instance DEEP FREEZE + Anti-Executable + EQS + SuRun = LUA is probably the better one of them all IMHO.

But as a common user i would at the very least use a Returnil or SandboxIE to suppliment any AV because they are too easily targetted plus cannot possibly keep pace with new released viruses, and all it takes is just one to bring a system to breaking point or render it disabled.

4. Dieselman

What about adding Sandboxie to the web browser selection in NOD32?

5. muf

muf Registered Member

I think this will help. The first screenshot shows the setting in SBIE under 'Quick recovery'. Just add the relevant folder you usually download to.

The second screenshot shows the setting in SBIE under 'Quick recovery'.

The third screenshot shows the dialog box after you download a file into the sandbox.

It's not 'automatic' but at least the dialog appears immediately after the file has finished downloading. If you choose 'Close' then you will get prompted again after you delete the sandbox.

Hope this helps.

muf

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  6. Dieselman

I already know that thank you anyways. Its just I wish you could recover things automatically but then again that would defeat the purpose of the sandbox I think.

7. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi Dieselman. When it's set up like muf showed, you would just have to click the recover button to recover the downloaded file. The screen will pop-up automatically when a download finishes. I'm not sure if there is another way or not. You could also make something like an openfilepath to a location, but that is something that you would need to look at very carefully. If that doesn't work, take a look at the other sandbox type programs. Maybe something else would fit a little better.

Cheers

8. Dieselman

Blah. I solved my problems. Uninstalled Sandboxie. I cannot be bothered when I download things everyday from Wincustomize and Nvidia. I gave Sandboxie a 48 hour test drive and returned it to the lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.