is running panda cloud and webroot overkill

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by winterlord, Sep 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winterlord

winterlord Registered Member

hi, i was wondering if running these two programs along with onlime armor if these two programs would be overkill to use them both at same time in the little task tray corner

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I'd say so, but to each his own.

3. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

I think so as well.

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Which version of Webroot? If it contains Prevx technology, especially SafeOnline, then it's probably not.

5. winterlord

it is the latest one they had up may of even be re-directed from prevx page.

also would panda cloud be sufficient enough or would i be better running webroot and panda? im not worried bout my system being slowed down is a very fast machine

6. pegr

pegr Registered Member

As J_L said, if you've got hold of a copy of the Webroot SecureAnywhere (Prevx 4) public beta then you can run it alongside Panda Cloud if you want to. It's designed to supplement other security programs, and can also be used on its own as a complete solution.

If, as I suspect, you've got a trial version of one of the existing Webroot products then I wouldn't run it alongside Panda Cloud. Not only would it be an overkill, you might experience compatibility problems. Another point to consider is that the existing Webroot range will soon be revamped when Webroot SecureAnywhere comes out of beta.

7. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Running close to another A vs B post here, we all know what happens to those...

Why are you so obsessed with running two malware programs when one is more than enough? You have done several recent posts about this.

8. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I don't think the original question involves an A vs B comparison though; it's more a question regarding the advisability of running both together.

I think people often ask these kind of questions about running more than one AV because they know that AV is an imperfect technology, so they think that by adding more of the same, they increase the overall level of security.

I agree with a multi-layered approach, but IMO there should only be one of each type of application; partly for reasons of efficiency to avoid diminishing marginal returns from the overlap that results from adding more of the same, and partly to minimise the risk of conflicts from running similar types of application.

I think it would be more beneficial for winterlord to look at adding some kind of virtualization/sandboxing and/or policy restriction/HIPS rather than adding another real-time anti-malware program.

9. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I would agree with all this. Running one of each application can be a good practice. The two AV thing can lead to unattractive results as a number of folks I know have found out...:blink: :)

10. winterlord

ok, you mention running Hips i believe i got that covered just bought spyshelter, and i also use online armor the free edition. i just wanted some feedback as to if the two AV are overkill. i ended up with a license to Panda through trialpay program however im not so sure i would feel secure about running just Panda have not been able to read much about it, however i do like the idea of the cloud.

11. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Spyshelter has a very tight HIPS so combining it with Online Armors HIPS could drive you batty with popups. Also, Panda Cloud has a Behavior Blocker included so have fun..

12. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

Is not an anti-spyware/adware, anti-virus, anti-malware the same type of program? A driver checking the actions in your computer, such as read and write to filesystem.
    Installing two realtime scanners or protection components is not a good idea.

13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

No, one is made to be compatible with the other, and is lighter with different features / database. Many times they don't protect the same way either, the driver checks execute not read/write.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.