Is remote IPC necessary service?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Is remote IPC a necessary service? It is located in the shares folder under computer management. I do not want to allow anyone to remote connect to any of my machines. Is it a necessary service for windows to update? I can't think of any reason to have this service enabled.

Here is a description of IPC shares I read online. Its sounds like a dangerous backdoor.
    IPC$ - Temporary connections between servers using named pipes essential for communication between programs. It is used during remote administration of a computer and when viewing a computer's shared resources. This share can be very dangerous and can be used to extract large amounts of information about your network, even by an anonymous account.

2. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

BTW.. this site explains how to disable Remote IPC. -http://forums.techarena.in/antivirus-software/1150584.htm

3. katio

katio Guest

I can only talk about Win 7, but with the "public network" profile, filesharing disabled and default windows firewall port 139 is closed.

AFAIK the service is only necessary if you have networks shares enabled or you use (enterprise) software that makes use of named pipes, databases or whatever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.