Is remo more safe and good?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by taleblou, Feb 9, 2014.

1. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Hi:

I came across a free utility software called Remo More and it has great reviews and is digitally signed and is legit. Bu seems 360 IS finds atleast 4 of its services as malwares and flags it. I have checked the software with virustotal and is clean. I checked those 3 exes that 360 flags them as malware and for one of them only qihoo detects it as malware and for the other one both qihoo and mcaffe detec it as heuristic and malware.

Anyway anyone here using it or knows that these are false positives or not?

here is the software page: http://www.remosoftware.com/

Thanks for your reply in advance.

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

3. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

It's listed on some major software download sites, so it's probably OK (no guarantees though).

4. taleblou

So no-one here is using it? I just hope its goodware because it has tons of utilities (everything from a burner to cleaner, optimizer to hdd and system check and report and everything all in one place). Its like having several different tools in one. I just hope someone for sure can tell me if they use it and if its false positive.

With the remo more, all I need is in one place. its like a dvd burner-cleaner-multi utilities-hdd sensors-optimizer all in-one suite and FREE.

I ran it in time freeze and fell in love with it, but the warnings from qihoo and mcaffe made me nervous.
    I hope someone in here who use it can comment.

5. taleblou

Thanks, but I was not talking about the website but the software itself. It seems 4 of its tools are being detected by qihoo and mcaffe as heuristic something.

6. taleblou

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

I agree, but as soon as I saw your software questions regarding malware, I ran the unknown URL (at least to me) via various services, to protect readers of this thread, and posted the FYI. Better safe than sorry. ;) :)

8. John Harris

John Harris Registered Member

JR,

I am from Remo Software. This came on my radar today, so wanted to post here a reassurance, that this software is totally legit and the reason why we are getting caught on 360IS is due to a program we are running using which the user can change the power plans based on their network connection. I am probing this further and other things too which might be causing these alerts on 360IS. But rest assured, this tool is completely safe and legit.

Feel free to connect back.

Thanks,
    John Harris

9. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

Hi John, welcome to the forum. Why would an user need to change power plan based on network connection?

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

John Harris, first, welcome to Wilders!

We urge you to post back your probe results in the near future, so members can understand why these alerts are happening.

Thank you for joining our forum.

11. taleblou

Thanks for response. Also can you tell me 2 things. When I install it and ran it, it removed the ability to open or run apps in administrative mode. No longer works. Also the second is the drive temperature measure in unknown and when click on it , it has smart support drive: NO. I checked mu BIOS and smart is on. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Anyway I have whitelisted it in 360 internet security.

P.S. By the way why when using internet optimization , instead of speeding up, it brought speed down and made it worse. ( I just wanted to see how it does.)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  12. taleblou

here are the exes that 360 IS found them as HEUR/Malware.QVM10.gen:

1. rs-fileeraser.exe
    2. rs-pnmnt.exe
    3. rs-pnmnt.TMP

Also during install 360IS went crazy with warnings, even with real-time temporary off. This has to be looked into.

13. John Harris

Regarding changing the power plans based on network connection: Suppose you have two different Wi-Fi networks; one at home and another at work. Once you create the schedule using Remo MORE based upon your Home & Work Network, then Remo MORE automatically manages your power plan when you are connected to your Home or Work Wi-Fi. So this gives an additional functionality to the user to manage power plans not just with power plugged or unplugged but also on network to where the device is connected.

14. John Harris

It does not alter the windows UAC (User Access Control) settings in fact we have marked all major executables with added manifest code which tells the OS to give higher elevated access to our required applications.

You might not have notice that some applications might not show this Yes/No Administrator access dialog on PC bootup, because we are adding a windows schedule to our application, which in turns gives higher access without a Yes/No Administrator access dialog, I certainly believe that its not us changing access, feel free to guide further.

Smart Info not showing: SMART support is added by manufacturers to their devices. SMART information support should be supported both on the BIOS/Motherboard and the Drive, that’s why even if in your BIOS its turned ON, you should be having a drive which is NOT having SMART support on it due to this the application is showing No SMART Support.

Regarding the internet optimization, we are changing only the MTU and other receiving package related settings under registry. When we tested it either it works well and increases the speed or else leaves it on same speed. If you help us on providing which kind of connection (DSL, Cable, T1, LAN etc.) you are using? We should be able to look into this problem. We are anyways working on making this functionality much better in an update which will be released by March.

Thanks again...any updates and feedback would be greatly appreciated and encouraged.

15. John Harris

1. rs-fileeraser.exe
    The application job is just to shred files securely, It just takes a file and wipes it with some set algos that which we have built.
    Here is an analysis of this file from VirusTotal online scanner https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/21332e407d529e3a9d449b1498e9d79aaaa4193e11a7632e11a4c273e0c328ff/analysis/
    Only Qihoo-360 is showing it as a Malware the rest of the 49/50 does mark it as safe, which includes AVG, Avast, McAfee, Bitdefender, ESET, F-Secure, Kasperky, Malwarebytes, Symantec, Trendmicro etc.

2. rs-pnmnt.exe
    This application is used to monitor network change, powerplan change and battery information from Windows OS using Standard Windows APIs.

3.rs-pnmnt.TMP
    This file is nothing but the same rs-pnmnt.exe. This might got created since
    Qihoo-360 quarantined the file. As soon as the file gets deleted/moved our software updater will download the same file with name rs-pnmnt.TMP and replaces the rs-pnmnt.exe when it gets access to rs-pnmnt.exe file.

Hope that explains..

16. taleblou

Thanks for your reply.

First regarding the admin running popup that no-longer shows when choosing running an app in admin, only does to the shortcuts. The non-shortcut apps still open in admin with the usual warning. So the abilty of the shortcuts to run in admin mode is gone asince I installed remo more.

Now as to my internet. I am on a cable 25MB highspeed download connected to a router.

In my test I used downloading a file and running some stream to test the download and smoothness of video playing. With the remo more internet optimizer I noticed my download speed that normaly is around 1MB/s went ot below 100kb/s and playing an streaming video would freeze often.

I also tested another internet optimizing app called "speed connect" and when chose to optimize it speed up 3mb/s download and smooth video playing.

So I kept speed connect and the increased speed, I liked it and will use it in the future.
    If you want to know which app I am talking about, here is the link.

-http://www.cbs-soft.com/speedconnect.htm did a much better job at speeding up then any other apps I tried.

I also tried others like vaidu pc faster, synei utility and they did not speed-up.

17. taleblou

Thanks for responding.

By the way by looking at speed connect app that I linked in my above post, may give some idea to tweak the internet optimization in remo more to work better. the link has screenshot.

18. taleblou

Also another issue with remo more use.

I noticd that I often get a windows popup with message 'explorer.exe need a restart' and after clicking yes, it restarts. So I checked my event viewer and behold in the application and system I had error messages of ID11 and ID1000. I cheked and before remo more installtion time I had no error messages. these error messages started right after remo more installation and optimizing or running it.

I had to revert back to a good image to fix the issue. SO this need to be looked into.

my system: windows 7 utlimate 64bit.

19. John Harris

Thanks for your inputs.

Regarding the admin running apps in which admin pop-up does not show. It depends on the executable, whether the executable is added with the administrator access manifest code. If you could check some exe files in your PC, you might notice on some exes a shield icon appearing over the exe icon, this shows that the exe is having a manifest to access with administrative rights. Now if you create an exe shortcut of this shield based exes on the desktop you will always get the Admin running dialog (Popup). You might not get the admin popup for those exes which does not have a shield icon on it from there shortcuts or from launching those directly. We are not doing any changes regarding the administrative right for any applications existed in the user PC.

Thanks a lot for providing the application names which you have been using for internet optimization.

We made a test here with Speed Connect and Remo MORE Internet Speed Enhancer. Let me give you the results.

We tested this on internet connection of 50Mbps FFTH.

Using Speed Connect Automatic Optimization (Router Connected-Rebooted to get the settings applied)
    Quality: GOOD & Score: 78.9%
    Median Speed Noted: 15670kbps

Using Remo MORE Internet Speed Enhancer (Router Connected)
    Quality: GOOD & Score: 98.2%
    Median Speed Noted: 30338kbps

Sometimes we were getting little bit lower or higher speeds depending on the Internet load and different applications accessing the internet.

We will be definitely looking forward to enhance the Remo MORE Internet Speed Enhancer with automated internet settings functionality added in the future updates.

We have solid plans to making this tool very robust, adding more features and would love to keep it free forever. Thanks for all the support and suggestions, Keep them coming.

20. John Harris

We have verified many PCs with different Windows Operating Systems from Windows XP till Windows 8.1 of both x86 & x64 we have installed and checked along with various other 3rd party applications. Can't really recollect seeing this issue and after you reported didn't replicate as well.

Need some deep help here, If you can send us (PM) the full details of the error reports from event viewer this could help us find the cause of this error.

We are motivated in finding this issue at our end and we are trying to replicate the same. It would be great help if you provide us detailed error information.

21. taleblou

Thanks for reply and as for the download test, I used chrome and went to filehippo and downloaded a app "avast" and looked at the download speed during remo more and speed connect and my download speed was around 70kb/sec download from filehippo with remo optimization and went to around 3mb/s with speed connect optimization. Also I ran live streaming tv channel and saw no freezing with speed connect optimization but too often freezing and re-loading with remo more optimization in the chrome browser.

Thats how I test it and not with speed test softwares and the like. Real world testing.

22. taleblou

Well I have already reverted to a good image. Also I am willing to test remo more again on a virtual machine running win 7 ultimate 64bit on my linux machine. I Will try to help you guys to make your app better.

If I see any issues I will let you know.

23. taleblou

well I ran remo on win 7 ultimate 64bit in vm and found some errors in event viewer logs as below.

below first 2 are before and the rest are last 2 are after remo running and optimizing.

Attached Files:

24. taleblou

Here are more detail about the remo more caused error details. They were errors in applications part of event viewer log and not system part.

Attached Files:

25. John Harris

taleblou,

Thanks for all the details.

My team here is looking into it, I will be posting a analysis or an update soon. Thanks for your help.

Stay tuned.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.