Is process lasso harmful.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by The Red Moon, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

hi.
    I have installed process lasso and im just wondering if this program has any long lasting adverse effects.

Ive read up on reviews etc which naturally are mixed and i decided to install as it may help in certain situations.
    Any views and opinions please.
    Thank you.:cool:

2. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

No, not in my experience.

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Did you read reviews where people claimed there were long lasting adverse effects?

4. The Red Moon

The opinions have been very mixed but ive been running it for a few hours now and everything is ok.

Its a nice little program.:thumb:

5. jcollake

jcollake Registered Member

This is pretty far out there, but I assume it is just a misunderstanding, so let me clear it up ;).

Long lasting effects? That's hard to believe since Process Lasso makes no system setting changes. It doesn't 'tweak' the system except on a real-time, dynamic basis. Once uninstalled, it is uninstalled. Now, in the advanced options, there are tweaks the user can make to the system, but few users visit that area - and none of the tweaks would cause 'harm'.

Could a user intentionally (or accidentally I suppose) misconfigure Process Lasso so that it caused problems? Sure. But that would be solved as soon as they reset the configuration or uninstalled Process Lasso, booting to safe mode if they had to.

In short, NO SYSTEM CHANGES. By default, all its ProBalance algorithm will do is temporarily lower the priority class of some background processes when they are unruly. Of course, it only does this while Process Lasso is running ;). Once uninstalled, nothing is left.

A much more dangerous program would be a registry cleaner, which indiscriminately deletes registry keys that may or may not be important. Same goes for software that tweaks your registry to improve performance. Again, Process Lasso is NOT that type of program.

DISCLAIMER: YES, I am the author ;p. My FIRST rule is 'DO NO HARM". Not 'MAKE MONEY'. So, I do my best to make sure my software adheres to my principles. It is something personal to me. Hate it or love it, I USE my OWN software ;).

6. woomera

woomera Registered Member

@Beethoven
    no in my experience its not harmful at all but even though i have a license i dont have it installed since i never noticed any difference, though that might be due to the fact that im using a good laptop with lot of ram and a good cpu.

@Jcollake
    nice to see the official author here on the forum ;)

7. The Red Moon

Thank you for the informative replies everyone.:thumb:

8. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

-Harmful? No.

-Unnecessary?...:blink:

9. The Red Moon

I have 4gb of ram and an intel i3 processor.Maybe i dont need it but it may help with unruly processes.o_O

10. Steve1961

Steve1961 Registered Member

I purchased and use Process Lasso on both my laptop and desktop computers.
    One is Win7 64 the other Win7 32.
    It's a long time I use it, without any harmful consequences and finding it very useful in some situations.
    It is useful not only for its main purpose of taming some processor hungry processes. Once you have learned how to "play" with it you can set it such a way that some processes is given priority on others, I've done that for example to my mouse sw (Logitech) and to my favorite file manager (Total Commander) so that they respond more effectively.
    All without touching any system settings, so that if I simply shut down Process Lasso and its service things go back to normal.
    Even if it is not a task manager, it works very well also in that, with additional options to restart a process, politely terminate it or forcibly terminate it. Very useful sometimes.

I wouldn't renounce to it.

Stefano

11. woomera

woomera Registered Member

i forgot to mention some stuff's bout lasso.
    first, if you care to give process's permanent I/O or CPU priority or setting thread settings then its the best option specially since PRIO doesnt work in windows 8.
    also if you ever experience a process locking up your computer e.g. if you have a habit of running new small games or apps as a tryout then lasso can be really handy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.