Is Port Explorer Worth Buying?

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by worldcitizen, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Are you running your own mailserver or using your ISP's? If you are using your ISP's then the blocking could be due to other users having hijacked PCs - in which case it is up to the ISP to resolve it (by blocking their access until their systems are cleaned).

No anti-trojan can claim 100% detection, but TDS-3 should come close enough for most purposes.

2. brucemc

brucemc Registered Member

Ran TD3 on five computers. Other than the usual "dual extension" warnings (all were created purposely by my software firewall) and one warning about the dreaded "CokeGift" trojan (How the heck did that cute thing that pops open your CD tray ever get classified as malware, anywayo_O), absolutely NOTHING. I got news, they have a jerk employee who was harassing me.

3. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Whether someone at SpamCop took a shine to you or not, they would not have the ability to identify changes in your IP address unless traffic coming from it was brought to their attention. Again, are you running your own mailserver? If so, then check that it is not set up to allow relaying (try the Abuse.net Relay Test or AuditMyPC Mail Relay Test page to check it) - open relays will be abused by spammers. If you are using an ISP's mailserver then report this issue to them - if spam is coming through their server, it is their responsibility to stop it.

4. Tuggboat

Tuggboat Registered Member

That spam thing is exactly what got me into Port Explorer. PE pays for itself several ways. Its also changed the way I think. I didn't know I wanted my personal computer to be personal. I was a bit outraged that I was being used to spam others. I didn't even know that was possible. I detested my computer being used for that and had just about gave up on the internet because all my dialup bandwidth had been used. My Big buck computer was worthless. The spammers are the Horses A@@, not us. Every few months I had to do a full windows reinstall because everything was slowing down.

I've got a few real good programs to track process info but its port explorer that makes me dig them out. I don't really need them like I used to but I still have much to learn about processes. But if I have anything ready to send or sending out data that I don't know I can shut it down and Google it later. If I kill it and crash I just reboot and I have just learned a little more.

Everybody wants to push broadband but if I get rid of all the incoming traffic I don't want anyhow and keep my eyes open for anybody stealing my outbound i don't need to pay big bucks for a monthly connection. If I need to download at high speed its not often. I can take my laptop to a Hotspot and for 4 bucks download like crazy and get somebody elses Ip too. A clean system saves me about 30 dollars a month.

Another reason I think PE is valuble is because in America we have lost our right to privacy and you don't need to be a terrorist to find Gov Ip's trying to sneak in. They might just have been Gov employees running p to p on their work computers but I 've had two this year. The same agency that enforces P to P also is engaged in an active surveilance of all possible sources of information in the name of antiterrorism. They don't require a reason anymore, just the opportunity and the time. It is America and it will end up all right but we are at war with an enemy inside our borders. Port explorers cheaper than a lawyer.

Several hundred years ago when man invented the magnifying glass he was intrigued. When a couple pieces together made the microscope our world was turned upside down and we started making progress in understanding our world and bettering and prolonging our life. Port exporer and similar functions on my firewall are have had the same effect on my little Pc world. I have had a paradyne shift of sorts. Can't buy that.

And like the CCard ads say. The price of a peace of mind of a secure session....

Some days its just PRICELESS :D

Last edited: Jul 4, 2005
  5. trojan

trojan Registered Member

I have used many programes free and otherwise that display your connections i must say port explorer i think is the best in its field. The infomation is so easy to read, the way established, listerning, tcp, etc are tabed makes reading the infomation so quick and easy i allways use port explorer to check out whats connected i would spot a "nasty" in 1 second with port explorer sadly my firewall "outpost" or any firewall i have used displays infomation so clearly as port explorer i manualy put it in my start up folder so next time can you add a start with windows please ? lol i wouldnt want to be without it lol "netstat pro" has many of the features of portexplorer but all connections listerning established etc are displayed in 1 window which i find annoying :D

6. MichelB

MichelB Guest

Another yes here ;-) works very nice, stable, and shows tons of information, I like it a lot. Next on my list is ProcessGuard, and I only came here for NOD32 ;-)

Greets, Michel

7. RonCo1313

RonCo1313 Guest

I guess, its the only one of three I piad for that is alive!
    Dont think it was worth $100 though!

8. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

YES

Wanted to give a long elaborate reply listing all the many reasons, but I settled on just a big reply instead!

9. 4wterg

4wterg Guest

when I hide netstat I have no hidden sockets. When I show, there are 41 hidden. Is that normal?

10. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Email support a screenshot just in case.. thanks !
    Please also include a log : click File > Save Table

11. PID

PID Guest

I noticed in this thread that there is reference to PID - I am a little new to computers and was wondering what PID is?

12. Airking

Airking Registered Member

PID = Process ID

13. Masterofmind

Masterofmind Registered Member

I got hacked many times I just had enuogh. I also use Outpost firewall it's the best in the market I believe. I use nod32 antivirus. I have purchased process guard which the hacker keeps on disabling when I turn it off for a while and I have tds and of course port explorer.
    What I can tell the hacker was ip spoofing I believe pogo.com. OUtpost would tell me sometimes it's ARP when I was logging onto pogo well one time the hacker I guess decided to spoof their ip for pogo.com ip and went into my machine. They decided to add admin account in my system which i disabled and change the password. I also had to change my admin password. I'm going to run Blacklight to make sure there's no root kits.
    My question is will port explorer will show me the spoofer's real ip or the ip they are spoofing. I want to get their real ip so I can report them.

14. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi there Masterofmind, welcome to the forum!

What do you think if your firewall was that good (configured) any hacker would be able to get into your system and do the things you described?

Port Explorer will show you the possible hidden (red text) / illegal processes and the application --possible trojans-- they are using and the ports on them, so you can immediately block /kill those, or sniff on them to see what is actually happening and where the traffic goes to.
    Mind you: not all red processes/ sockets are trojans! So check very carefully as those are the first to look at.
    So you can see and take action instantly.
    Which gives you time to find out about the hacker.
    You could ask the firewall experts in the firewall forums here for advice in settings and what more to block.

I would certainly advice to check for strange processes / autostarts with HijackThis and AutoStartViewer (free tools DiamondCs site) too.

For possible spoofed IPs: what do you get when you ping or trace to them? If it's the same all time you could complain at that ISP, spoofed or not, they might be able to take proper action.

Guess i don't need to tell you to be very careful with sensitive data and internet banking. At least look seriously in the encryption software. Also about this are discussions in this forum!

Please let us know how it goes.
    We might make this a separate thread for you if we can help with your protection.

15. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

tds, aside from its system tools which still are more than useful, is useless as a scanner( it still has superb webdownloader heuristics)
    the last update was when, can you guess how many new nasties have appeared ever since ??

get an anti trojan that can be updated :D

16. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

For the average user , NOPE . For the advanced user , NOPE . Unless you want a little something to play with . It is fun and sometimes useful to those who are afraid to even step outside but , again , NOPE

17. controler

controler Guest

If I were masterofmind, I never would have waited this long to reformat and reinstall everything fresh;)

con

18. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

In one word? Yes!!!

Being paranoid about what goes on your system in the backgroud is a healty way of looking at things these days. Being able to do something about it is also useful. However this is not a tool that will provide you with an easy answer. ]

You see a process doing something with a port and this is only the start of a long (Read Fun) hunt!

Someone once said: Those who Seek find those who ask recieve and those who knock hopefully get their friggin ports blocked! :cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.