Is Outpost secure with defaults?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by gracie123, Sep 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gracie123

gracie123 Registered Member

Hi, recently installed Outpost 2.7 (latest version) on my PC. Is it secure with the defaults, or for it to be completely, do you have to follow Paranoid2000's guide for a secure configuration? :)

Thanks,

Gracie

2. Oddbod

Oddbod Guest

Hi.

Outpost is pretty secure with the defaults but U would be better to use P2K's secure guide ti tighten up the rules for things like svchost & also lock it to Ur ISP's DNS servers.

HTH

3. gracie123

Thanks Oddbod for the reply. I will consider using the guide then. Just makes me wonder why there is 107 views and yet you were the only one to reply. Surely one of those 107 people could of replied and have or do use Outpost but, I am not complaining. Its all optional to reply, just find it odd. o_O

4. Oddbod

Oddbod Guest

Hi.

No problems, follow the secure guide carefully & only use the rules U need, & also make sure u block the unknown & unused protocols, if like me you disable the windows services U dont need running, then a few of the svchost (time server, UPNP, system restore etc..) wont be needed, make sure U test at grc & at pcflank, i would uncheck the block attacker ip when doing the tests as they wont work otherwise (if doing multiple tests) If U get any popup during the tests then just keep clicking block once & keep tweaking your ruleset from the agnitum forums.

HTH

5. gracie123

Hey Oddbod, as you can see your the only one who really has cared to give me a reply.

So basically, it is ok to only do the rules that I think I can do and would be a good idea to do.. but however by doing this.... will it cause conflicts with anything being that the other things were not applied or "done" ?

6. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

You should be fine with the defaults and your own rules as required.

It is probably best to start off with the defaults, your own application rules as needed and be comfortable with and understand those first. Once you have a good understanding of how the rules work you can review the guide and consider what rules you may want to modify. Not applying the suggestions in the guide should not cause any conflicts at this point. As with any rule based firewall, including Outpost, there is usually lots you can do to customize rules, you just need to determine what is appropriate for you.

Regards,

CrazyM

7. gracie123

Hello CrazyM, okay. I will keep that in mind. Can I ask you a question? In your own opinion, what is the best software firewall?

8. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

There is no such thing as the "best software firewall", only what is best for you.

Regards,

CrazyM

9. gracie123

I understand. Thank you for your time CrazyM, and I appreciate the responses you gave.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.