Is Outpost Free Still Worth Using?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by dr.whowhatwhere, Aug 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was wondering if it is still viable to use for a dialup connection?Does it block the same as newer firewalls?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i wouldnt use it as it is far to outdated compared to its pro equivelent, however i never personally tried it. if u need a free fw, look into ZA, sygate, among others. theres a thread here somewhere for free FWs.

3. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    :rolleyes: :eek:

It was never updated and still in version 1... how can you trust for that kind of firewall wherein their pro version was already in 2.7? It could be mean that they have already taken it for granted... o_O :'(

Even if it's a free version it should not be left behind w/ the pro version... :cool: or else you'll suffer the consequences. Some have reported that it crashed in their system. So I never tried it on my system... better safe than sorry. :p :D

4. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

For dialup, Outpost Free should be acceptable as it will do a decent job of blocking incoming traffic and has some useful plugins. Its weaknesses are poor leaktest performance (Pro is far better) and a couple of irritating bugs - if it crashes, it loses its configuration (so you need to back it up regularly) and the "Learning Mode" bug (all traffic is blocked with the reason Learning Mode - the best workaround is to switch to Block Most policy).

As such, there are better free firewalls around (ZoneAlarm if you want a simple solution, Jetico for something more sophisticated) - I'd advise against Sygate though if you are running any local proxy software until they fix their local proxy problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.