Is Nod32 ok for non- advanced users?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by rxtian, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rxtian

rxtian Registered Member

I need to replace Norton 2003 Firewall/Antivirus. I have read countless threads on Nod32, Avast, and Kapersky, etc.

I am sure that Nod32 is a good antivirus program. After reading thru the Wilder threads, and particularly the "extra Settings" by Blackspear, my concern is that Nod32 is too advanced for an intermediate user like myself.

I did find a thread in which Firecat provided a link to a reseller (CSA), that I guess has Blackspear's setting within the download. That hurdle aside, I would like to know if Nod32 is can be left alone (aside from updates and scans), to protect my computers without constant "tweaking" (?).

Besides the three computers at my house, I also take care of the rest of my family's computers. I would like to replace Norton with a program that is fairly easy to setup and maintain. Hopefully your responses, will enable me to make my Antivirus program selection. I was planning on using Zonealarm's free Firewall for awhile.

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi rxtian, welcome to Wilders.

The Tutorial is designed to be completed only once and from there on in it is set and forget.

Cheers :D

3. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Just my opinion,
    The tutorial is excellent and easy to follow, but I think (especially since 2.5) out of the box, NOD32 will give you excellent protection as is.

4. rxtian

rxtian Registered Member

Blackspear : thanks for the quick response. I am very tempted to purchase Nod32 for one computer.
    Buy, instead of trial, since Firecat's information seems to point to CSA's inclusion of your "Extra Settings" within their NOD32 download. (I'm just a leeetle lazy )

If I can get confirmation of the above, it would be very nice. If not, I respect your advice (and that of other Wilder posters) greatly. I may start fresh tomorrow, by downloading Nod32. If I have to, I will put your "Extra Settings" Tutorial on a 2nd computer to read from, as I get Nod32 setup to the "Gold Standard" on my main 'puter.

One last (ha!) question. Is there any difference between purchasing from a reseller rather than directly from Eset?

Thanks everybody for your help and support.

5. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

rxtian,

Your Norton AV uninstall will go much smoother if you go into the AV config and uncheck all the protection options first. You will probably need to reboot before all the resident parts are gone. Then install NOD32.

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

My pleasure.

None whatsoever, except you may find better support through a local Reseller that you can develop a relationship with.

Cheers :D

PS: MAKE SURE you download the Norton Removal tool for versions 2000 to 2003 use this link: http://service1.symantec.com/suppor...452606?OpenDocument&ExpandSection=1#_Section1

For versions 2004 to 2006 use this link: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...iew=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=&seg

7. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    By default..it's fantastic. Default settings...if something is found..the popup windows will hold your hand with what to do.

It happens to be an antivirus program..that allows the "tweaker" to go in and fiddle with a lot of settings...if they wish ti....a bit more than some other antivirus programs. But this shouldn't scare the amateur away. It's just nice to have that option, no?

If you wish to do those settings...it's something that you only have to do once per PC...takes under a minute to do.

8. rxtian

rxtian Registered Member

Hi everyone : I bought two NOD32 Licenses a little earlier. Installed one on my main computer, after I used Add/Remove Programs to get rid of Norton AV instead of the Rnav2003 exe. Seems to have worked fine.

I used Blackspears extra settings after I installed NOD32. The next computer will be done as I install.

The thought hit me, that a lot of people have no desire to change, as they are comfortable with what they have and "understand".
    Fortunately, I have access to Wilders, and people like yourselves, who are willing to share their time and knowledge. The help I received made the difference between staying with Norton, and moving on to something "New and Improved" ( NOD32).
    Once again - My THANKS to all.

9. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

I haven't helped so far, but it's often that way - seems to work fine. I don't think I would be alone if my suggestion was to use the Rnav tool anyway... Following Blackspears advice is optional, but it is first class...

Glad you're liking NOD32 :)

Cheers :)

10. rxtian

rxtian Registered Member

NOD32 user : I just ran the Rbav2003 exe. I follow good advice easily and quickly.

I'm looking forward to Eset's new Security Suite coming this Fall (i've read). I'll be interested to see what everyone here thinks of it. I kind of like a Firewall and Antivirus programs to come from one source. Of course, that may be because that is all I've ever had. In the meantime, I think I will try Zonealarm's free Firewall for a few months.

Otherwise, it will take a bit of time and reading for me to become truly comfortable with NOD32. I cannot stress enough how much help the posters at WIlders have been. Even though I have Acronis TI 8, it is nice to know that the advice I get here, is good enough that the only reason I'd have to do a TI restore, is because I messed something up.

11. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

No worries - Good plan :D

I think everyone is looking forward to NOD32 3.0, me included :D

Good backups can be lifesavers for sure, even if it's just a rescue from a little 'overtweaking' :D

Cheers :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.