Is NOD32 better than Kaspersky?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by shadowatcher, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

This what i see too and build .183, which i waited quite some time to try is IMO the one with most bugs in my setup so far, anyway these are only half-public builds meant to find & root out these bugs, and it can/will change in the next months. :)

Btw. We will probably have a new build to play with maybe late this week or the next, the lead developer has said that he expects to be able to release between 22-26/8, but of course this can easily change, if they hit problems.

2. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

Surely you don't literally "throw it away"? If it grinds to a halt, just format it and start again. Or once it siezes up, just put Linux on it and use it for much much longer before it siezes up again (if it siezes up at all). That's what I do with low spec. PCs that would normally be tossed on the scrapheap, they work as basic internet PCs for ages and don't suffer the exploits that Windows does.

3. Ned Slider

Ned Slider Registered Member

4. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Registered Member

Remember KAV 2006 isn't even in beta yet. It is still in PRE-Beta, so give it a chance to grow and work out their bugs. They haven't released a new build for about a month, so hopefully, they are taking their time with this so they can move into beta, vs where they are now.

**EDIT**
    OOps just noticed it should say KAV not ZAV(getting zone alarm and Kaspersky mixed up :D )

Last edited: Aug 24, 2005
  5. toploader

toploader Registered Member

thanks for that link Ned - gave me a good laugh - i needed that after wrestling with Zone Alarm - that guy makes my point perfectly - he's a Ph.D who has had it up to here trying to keep scumware out of his machine - time is money why bother trying to fix the thing dump it!!

(i am usually quite ecologically sound BlueZann but computers can do funny things to you sometimes)

perhaps we could make vast sculptures out of discarded PCs just hand it in to your local artist who will turn it into a giant folly to be viewed and admired by all.

don't fight it - dump it! :D

6. toploader

good idea ricky - recycling computers - too many people just want the latest and the fastest - they don't need them most of the time - a nice green low spec - eager to surf can do the job. oh the joys of linux :D

7. Ned Slider

Ned Slider Registered Member

You're welcome!

He supposedly has a PhD in computer science so presumably he should have at least heard of linux. Perhaps he might like to give it a try as it's a lot cheaper than throwing away a perfectly good laptop every time you get a virus :D

Also, it doesn't make a very good advert for the University he got his PhD from :p

Ned

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Chuck_IV,

I agree. Don't read too much into what is happening now - for good or ill. About the only thing that is stable at this point is the GUI format and maybe the basic feature set.

However, if one offers a very complete solution (and KAV 2006 is), I do believe that one would be, as Paranoid2000 put it, more likely to want to "control of all your assets...". That design freedom allows you to accomplish a number of things at the expense of others. The price paid can be compatibility with functionally competing applications - but in the world of complete solutions, this is not necessarily a germane factor for the designers. This might not be a preferred end result for many of us, but many suites head in that direction.

Blue

9. toploader

he had obviously had enough Ned - just wanted to reassert control that he was the boss - when faced with the virus/trojan Gordian Knot one can sit there puzzling how to unravel it or just stick your sword thru it and move on.

yes he could have done the eco-friendly thing and turned it into a linux special but we do live in a throw away society - to someone on his salary it was probably no different than throwing away a ball point pen - a fine example of Western Decadence :D

10. Notok

Notok Registered Member

There was an article about how throwing away the computer is becoming more and more common.. I want to live in one of those neighborhoods :'(

11. toploader

try sticking a sign in your yard saying dispose of your useless virus infested computer here free of charge :D

12. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

All,
    Yea, :rolleyes: I am the type who would take the thing on like a pet and try to bring it back to life make a real test of wills project. It is a real personal problem I have... :D

13. toploader

you could start the world's first pc sanctuary for distressed computers mercurie :D

14. mercurie

15. toploader

seems that where-ever you go there are dustbins piled high with discarded virus infested PC's just waiting to be reclaimed and restored.

found this snippet in another forum....

a-squared Free and free avg rocks

Tried these 2 together and got 13 viruses and 3 keyloggers off a used WIN XP machine. Then used spybot search and destroy and ad-aware and got the use of my used machine back to me. this was a free machine that was thrown out in the trash.

16. mercurie

:) ;) That's the kind of deals Mercuire likes! :cool:

17. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

We'll see in Sept.

18. GPP

GPP Guest

TRY WITH ZONEALARM SS

19. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

o_O :(

20. EdP

EdP Registered Member

I'm considering a new AV program and, after several hours of research (and bloodshot eyes), pretty much came down to deciding between KAV or NOD. This thread, then, became very interesting to me so I read it all.

I've been through all kind of discussions here about lightness of being, acuteness of detection, and swiftness of performance, but not a word about existence of support.

Any comments?

21. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Read the threads in this forum. Easy to get answers to your questions. I think you'll find support is excellent.

22. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Hi,

I use KAV on my desktop and Nod32 on my Wife's laptop.

I have to say support for both products is excellent. Both offer great forums (I do prefer the Nod32 one found on Wilders) but support is top notch for both.

Kind Regards

Jlo

23. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

my advice. nod32 is older comps and kav for more powerful comps.

24. Notok

Notok Registered Member

It also depends on what kind of threats you encounter most and what else you may run. I've always looked at it as NOD32 being best choice against unknown malware, KAV being best for known malware. I use NOD32, and MOST of what it catches for me are new trojans and worms as they first start spreading, before anyone has a chance to get a signature update released. On the other hand, if you want the most comprehensive database in a single scanner, KAV may be the way to go.

25. Cyber Surfer

Cyber Surfer Registered Member

To answer the title line of this thread, they are equal, neither is better than the other, and both are considered very good anti-virus software. I run both, and find them excellent. Only your personal preferences will assist you in deciding which is better in your opinion,after you trial them both. End of discussion?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.