Is next build of NOD 32 V5 going to fix BSOD issue with external storage devices?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Mar 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Is the next build of NOD 32 V5 going to fix the BSOD issue reported with external storage devices? If so then when do you anticipate the next build being released? I've heard of some sort of a fix that's more like a work around the problem. I'm asking when will it come fixed in the installer?

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Version 5.0.95 fixed the lockup issues occurring after connecting an external HDD for most of the affected users. Another fix resolved the issue for a few people here at Wilders' and the rest turned out to be caused by a 3rd-party driver.
    The question is whether the second fix resolved the issue for you or whether you belong to the group of users who have another software clashing with v5 installed.

3. Cutting_Edgetech

What fix would that be?

4. Cutting_Edgetech

I have 9 days left on my NOD 32 license. I'm currently using V4.2.71.2. I will trial V5 for a few days, and see if I run into problems. I have multiple external storage devices connected to all my work stations. I have 8 license in all which will be up for renewal.

5. rcdailey

rcdailey Registered Member

I know one thing that NOD32 v. 5.x does that verion 4.x did not do. By default, version 5.x automatically checks whenever an external drive is attached while the system is up and running. This will generate a pop-up about scanning the drive. If you aren't seeing that pop-up, then you may have a conflict.

6. Cutting_Edgetech

rcdailey, I'm not seeing any popups, but i have not changed any settings from their defaults. Not sure if I should be seeing them with the default settings or if something is not working right.

Well, i'm back to report on my experience with NOD 32 V5 so far. After 2 days of use I have not seen any BSOD's, and I have multiple external storage devices connected to this machine. I'm using windows 7x64 on an Icore 7 2.8 ghz with 8gbs of ram. It also seems to be lighter on resources than V4 though i have not performed any test to confirm this. My machine is responding noticeably quicker when opening applications, and webpages seem to be loading faster. It is using considerably more memory than V4 which may be an issue for some low end workstations. I'm not really sure about the I/O since I don't pay much attention to it unless i'm experiencing a noticeable decrease in performance. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed, but so far so good. I just hope I didn't jinks myself by making this post. Maybe i've been lucky so far. I will report back every few days.

7. Cutting_Edgetech

Ok, 3 days later, and still no BSOD's or major problems. I have had an issue with FireFox 10.0.2 since installing NOD 32 V5. I do not know if NOD is the cause, but I rarely experienced this problem until after installing V5. Each time I close FF browser it never really closes. When I exit out of the browser it closes from the screen as though the browser process was terminated, but FF process will still be running in task manager under processes. I usually don't realize it until I try to open FF again, and it informs me that FF is already running so I have to terminate it from the process list in task monitor before I can use FF again. o_O I had this happen occasionally before installing V5, but very occasionally. Now it happens all the time. Is anyone else experiencing this behavior with Firefox?

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

ESET does not interfere with browsers in any way unless scanning of SSL is enabled. Generally if you suspect ESET to be involved in an issue, you can uninstall it for a while to find out if it makes a difference.

9. v35_pilot

v35_pilot Registered Member

NOD v5.x most definitely interferes in some manner with FF. Every time NOD would update its security definitions file there would be a complete lock-up of FF. Most times these lock-ups would clear, but occasionally the FF session was so hosed that a Windows reboot was the only way to clear it. Quite unproductive.

I did what you suggested and uninstalled NOD32 v5, which was almost a month ago now. Since that day, no lock-ups in FF at all but now I am running without an AV solution, which is not preferable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.