Is my XP authentic?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ldeullersafe, Jun 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ldeullersafe

ldeullersafe Registered Member

Rootkitted before I even install it? Sometime back I bought a copy of windows xp Sp2 corporate edition and threw it in a drawer to replace a lost oem disc version of xp. Recently the time came for a re-install and a friend pointed out that my install disc looked a little funny and not very official. I thought it looked fine but the idea that it might not be on the level creeped me out a little.

I ran an md5 and sha1 hash and googled the results. Here's where it gets more unclear. I couldn't find any website official microsoft, or security or other site that I knew that had any posts for a correct sum of xp. Instead what I found were about 10 google result pages of chinese websites that seemed to have posted the hashes. I am hoping that someone here can help me out by running their own copies that they know are good for comparison.

It's disappointing that microsoft doesn't post md5s or shas. I know about WGA but that doesn't really tell you if the copy you have is clean and free of rootkits it only tells you if your copy is pirated and corporate edition doesn't require activation. How can a company with an operating system as central as xp has been not post sums that would confirm the bits you have are the same as they were on their side, or maybe they do?

The description of the cd from the cd drive in my computer is "VRMPVOL_EN". The disc contains 607,250,432 bytes or around 579 MB. If any of you have a copy of XP Sp2 corporate that you feel confident is authentic please post your md5 and sha1 results to see if there is at least a consensus.

2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Check here and select the "Validate Windows" button.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the face you say that you replaced your oem windows xp with a corporate windows xp version seems to already show its most likely pirated.
    why didnt you just buy another oem windows xp from a legitimate company selling windows xp?

where did you get the disc from?

it could be that someone nicked a windows xp cd from work and copied it which still means its illegal and you need to get a legaltimate version of windows but it wont have anything dodgy on it.

4. ldeullersafe

ldeullersafe Registered Member

Wrong. The validation tool will not tell you if you have a clean version. That is very misleading. The tool compares your key and hardware with a database to see if the edition is pirated or not. It misses copies that may have been copied from known clean volume editions that were later rootkitted and resold to the public. It's very smug of you to throw a one sentence response up as if it were the complete answer.

To the second poster I bought this copy from a small computer shop that has since gone out of business. The disc did have a hollogram but it seems to be a little different than ones my firend has seen. I wanted a corporate edition so I could install to multiple machines including my original machine.

I don't see why someone can't just run their corp. ed. hash and post!

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

to install on multiple machines at once you could just buy a few oem versions just cant transfer to another machine after.
    or just buy a few retail versions. if you want one version to keep on one machine and transfer to another machine when you dump the current one you just need a retail license.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.