Is my set-up OK ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by AMD, Jul 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AMD

AMD Registered Member

Hi, new member here so hello to fellow forum members.

Just had to get a new PC running on windows 7 64 bit and Internet Explorer browser.

I dont have a very good knowledge of Anti-virus and basically I picked up bits and pieces of info from this any other security forums.

Just wanted to make sure that I dont have anything configured which has a negative impact.

Avast Internet Suite (paid) all sections running and Windows firewall disabled.
    MBAM Pro, realtime scanning enabled
    SAS Free on demand
    Secunia PSI V3 on demand at the moment
    Winpatrol Plus , real time scanning enabled
    Common Sense

Avast & MBAM have been configured to trust/allow each other.

Any comments welcome.

Andy

2. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Welcome to Wilders Andy. Well the bits and pieces you picked up are good and IMO your off to a great start. Avast and MBAM are very good pieces of security applications and should suffice keeping nastie things off.Your other applications are very good as well.

Your probably going to get lots of opinions and suggestions to add other layers but here is my suggestion.Dont install to many apps at once and learn the ones you have well first before trying others.cheers.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  3. AMD

AMD Registered Member

Thanks djohn, I really want to try and have a good protection level that does not conflict with each other and also not to have to much running in the background unnecessarily clogging things up.

4. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Your Welcome and Good thinking.:thumb:

5. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

Overall no one could really complain about that setup, as long as you're happy with the speed. I'm assuming you've also disabled Windows Defender?

I'd try a different browser for a number of reasons, but obviously it's your choice and preference. I would minimise the number of active browser plugins, and in particular not have Java on there if you don't use it. IE makes it impossible to temporarily disable Java - essentially one needs to disable it for the whole system.

If you stay up to date and don't use Java - then common sense will get you a long way.

6. AMD

AMD Registered Member

Ah ! no I have not disabled Windows Defender - tun this off then ?.

Java is an enabled addon in IE - turn this off ?

Would Google Chrome be a step up in browser ?

7. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

Yes I would disable Windows Defender, far too many realtime programs running.

It sounds silly, but disabling Java as an addon in IE didn't stop it running last time I checked. I found it by accident when I was testing how IE protected against Java exploits - astonishingly there was no easy way to disable Java from the browser itself. Others confirmed it as I couldn't believe what was happening. My general advice is to uninstall Java completely if you don't know whether or not you need it. If the need arises, then you'll get a message saying that Java is required.

Firefox, Chrome, Opera, etc are all fine. Even IE is fine with some fiddling - you'll have to search the forums for advice on that. My personal preference is Firefox, with Adblock Plus.

8. SnowFlakes

SnowFlakes Registered Member

welcome to wilders.
    if you ask me then you have to much protection.
    I only use avira with windows firewall and never got infected or hacked for several years.
    All these program's will make your pc run slower, so my suggestion to you is disable at least few of the program's.

9. AMD

AMD Registered Member

Ok, I have disabled Windows Defender and MBAM and now have only Avast (all zones) running and Winpatrol on real protection still enabled. Will run MBAM and SAS on demand.

Will look at an alternative Browser too as IE9 seems a bit unstable to me (not from a security point of view)

Great people on this forum

Thanks

Andy

10. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Well add HitmanPro, disable, remove or whatever just get rid of Windows Defender, use Chrome or Firefox with NoScript/ABP/WOT, if you are getting along Internet Explorer then fine you can go with it also, use either LastPass or KeePass, use an imaging software or Windows' built-in back-restore feature, use cloud backup(preferably Skydrive) and encrypt the backed up files with 7-Zip, sandbox browser with AIS when you're browsing unknown territories, use SafeZone for online shopping/banking and type in the correct website address yourself and take appropriate measures like the member Tom takes here(look under Online Banking Security), you can use an encryption software like Truecrypt, use Ccleaner, a file shredder like eraser, file recovery software like recuva.

And you're done I think. Phew! That was a long one. :D

11. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Nice start Andy. As suggested by Iron Man, good additions would be Hitman Pro and a system image program. I have MBAM Pro and Hitman Pro set to do scheduled scans. Macrium Reflect is a good system image program for free. Don't know about encrypting, but at least keep the image in a safe place. I use an external hard drive that's unplugged most of the time.

According to what I've been told here by a few people I respect, WinPatrol might be more useful for information than security.

I like Chrome with a few extensions.

Look into Sandboxie.

p.s. NoScript might be overly intrusive, depends on how much you like to manage things.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  12. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

That's a great advice. :thumb:

13. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Yes but as Andy has the plus version WP can also be useful as in security to some extent like it's got registry protection.

Andy already has AIS. He can just use the manual sandboxing.

14. justenough

Yes, AIS is strong security and good to use now while he learns how different security layers work and support each other. I jumped right into Sandboxie when first told about it, and learned as I went, and my head was spinning. But I got a lot of help from Wilders people, and things gradually came into focus. That's why I suggested he start by 'looking into Sandboxie', he can start learning how it works now for when he's comfortable enough to try it. I don't know of a more versatile and powerful security program than Sandboxie. Andy could look at this recent thread: What is one security program you can't do without?
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=325585

15. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Oh! I'm sorry I misread and misunderstood your post. Yes he should indeed look into sbie from now. I just did not want to give him a scare at first. Just use optimize what you use and learn new ways to secure as you go. That's what I think as sbie can be a little ....you know hard to learn to harden it enough, may look simple and old on the outside hiding the awesome strength in the inside.

16. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

To me that looks pretty good, but i would sandbox at least your browser...oh ya you have avast, and maybe add emet. Im not sure how avasts sandbox compares next to sandboxie...maybe someone else can comment on that. Hang me but i think comparisons are very helpful sometimes.

17. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

YUP x alot

18. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Gotta add EMET.

19. justenough

Yes for sure, Sandboxie can look deceptively simple. It's a testament to what a good program it is that I didn't get myself into more trouble with it when starting out.

20. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I couldn't agree more. :)

21. AMD

AMD Registered Member

I cant use the Sandox of Avast at the moment as I have Roboform and it crashes in IE and Chrome. This is not just me but others too so Avast are looking into a fix for it

22. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Hmm that's unfortunate. You gotta use the amazing and awesome sbie then. :)

23. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I think your original setup is just fine. Make sure you back up important data.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.