Is my router faulty ?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Ocky, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Since yesterday afternoon speed dropped to bytes/sec i.e. unusable internet. The strange thing is, when I reboot, the speed is fine for several hours before reverting to bytes/sec. usually when offline for some time.
    Today had ISP do a port reset. Speed was fine for about 4 hours when I logged off.
    Logged on later and again and bytes/sec speed ; rebooted and speed good again.
    Any idea whether it could be a faulty router ?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Are you able to try another router?

3. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

You do a restart to your rooter or to your OS. I ask you because on my PC with Linux Mint 14, loading pages on my browsers after a few hours of browsing or just with the browser opened, but with me away from the PC (with any browsers), the internet would crawl like a snail. A simple restart of the browser and full speed ahead again. No problems on Windows 7 or Ubuntu 12.04/12.10.

4. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

It looks better this morning, speed reasonable, also after logging on/off/on to internet several times. However I am not confident that the problem has rectified itself and will see what happens later in the day. Hopefully I can rule out a faulty router. How long do they last ? Mine is about 7 years old. Any comments on the router stats ?

router.png mtr bbc.png

5. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Unless your router is part of a combination device, you don't need a router to connect one computer to the Internet.

So for testing purposes, simply by-pass the router and connect your computer directly to modem. Then reboot your computer to pick up a new IP assignment and see how your speeds good.

That said, I suspect it is your computer as routers generally don't bog down over time - they typically work, or don't work.

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Really really hard to know.
    You will have to try a different device.
    Mrk

7. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  8. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

It's not the router at fault. Was due to Seacom cable break and my ISP, which was affected more than other ISP's here, plus we have a great deal of congested exchanges.
    Speed, however, still not optimal.

9. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Yeah, I was pulling my hair out over network problems last year when, out of frustration, I decided to take a break and pick up the dog poop from the back yard. My neighbor was working on his yard when he asked if I knew if the network service had been restored to the neighborhood yet? :blink:

10. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Well, I tested with my old router which was mothballed, and so far so good. The other newer router would start up fine first thing in the morning, but come afternoon, speed would drop drastically (30-60 KB/s) and sometimes nothing at all. On rebooting the router, speed would be fine again for a while.
    I interchanged routers several times over the past couple of days, and the old one was always fine. The new one always displayed the problems mentioned.
    So I have come to the conclusion that there must be something not quite hunky-dory with the newer one, and that it is probably not an ISP thing.
    Very difficult to say for sure as I always thought routers would either work or not work with nothing inbetween.

11. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

same thing happening here even today speed drops some even cut and my ISP it not reaching i am calling him form 4-5 multiple times in few days not even single phone pickup good thing is i can surf with few disconnects ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.