Is my GPU Diod temp good at 50c -60c ?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Warlockz, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

I usually have an evaporative cooler in my loft, but the motor went all whack, lucky to get the $300 bucks back on a refund, but what concerns me is the temp of my GPU Diode which is usually around 38c now at around 50c and was up to 58c earlier?

Code:
    Temperatures	
    Motherboard	31 °C  (88 °F)
    CPU	34 °C  (93 °F)
    CPU #1 / Core #1	8 °C  (46 °F)
    CPU #1 / Core #2	8 °C  (46 °F)
    CPU #1 / Core #3	8 °C  (46 °F)
    CPU #1 / Core #4	8 °C  (46 °F)
    GPU Diode (DispIO)	48 °C  (118 °F)
    GPU Diode (MemIO)	48 °C  (118 °F)

2. Noob

Noob Registered Member

GPU Diode?
    If that means the GPU CORE itself, then it is fine.
    GPU's are usually designed to operate in temperatures up to 100C° - 110C° depending on the thermal specifications.
    100° C was normal for some Nvidia GPU's in the past. :D

Mine idles at 60°C all the time and when i'm gaming it gets up to 75°C - 80°C, i have been using this GPU for the last 5 years and it has always idled high, no problems so far and to top it off i have it overclocked the whole time. ;)

3. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

sweet, so im good. I need to upgrade the thing, its an old ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series 1GB slow crap out of my broke down Gateway PC I added to my custom built machine to save $, its only DDR2 on my DDR3 MB baw, lol but..Thanks for the quick reply! :thumb:

ill probably just go with a AMD Radeon HD 6670 2048MB GDDR3 PCIe 2.1 x16 for my upgrade, def good enough for my daily use.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahahaha i also need to upgrade my GPU . . . well to be honest the whole PC. :D
    I currently have a Nvidia 9600GT OC'ed.
    Core is 760mhz
    Shaders 1700mhz
    Memory 1000mhz
    All in stock voltage. I'm so tempted to do some volt mods and crank it up higher but i've never soldered anything in my life. :D :D

5. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Don't even attempt this until your ambient (room) temperatures are at back down to normal "creature comfort" levels.
    Then you need to learn up on proper soldering techniques and types of solder, types of irons, and practice, practice, practice.

Note I had to go through a 40 hour soldering certification class before I could come near multi-layered PCBs! So don't do it unless you are willing to sacrifice the card.

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahahaha i'm just tempted but i won't do it. :D
    What makes me want to volt mod my GPU is because it's starting to give up on new games. I'm getting low frames even on 3 year old games such as GTA IV :rolleyes: and i will not upgrade my system until something stops working, i always use my PC's until they pass out, then i build a new one. :D :D

7. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

If these same games used to work better on this hardware, then I would not blame the hardware for slowing slowing down, or push it harder to speed up.

Windows 7 was not out 3 years ago (Oct 2009), so you are likely using an older OS that has been through many changes (and so has W7). Anti-malware solutions surely have changed and eat up more resources. Your startup programs have likely changed and it is likely your graphic drivers have been upgraded many times too - and that is not often good for older games as features are tweaked for the latest or more popular games.

Not me. My first personal build still works! A SuperMicro board with an Intel MMX P5-200 CPU. That's 200MHz. I'd still be on Windows 98SE and 256Mb of RAM. :blink: And dial-up Internet. :ouch:

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

My first build was an AMD Duron 750MHZ with an Nvidia Riva TNT 2 and 128MB of ram back in 2001. (Forgot Motherboard model)

My second build was an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ with 256MB of ram ( Later upgraded to 512 and again to 768 ) with an Nvidia GeForce GeForce 2 MX400 and the motherboard was a MSI K7. :D

First one died because the fan stopped working and i never noticed it. (CPU overheated)
    Second one the GPU stopped working after a couple years. (It just died suddenly, i didn't know anything about overclocking back then)

Current PC is working great and i have both the CPU and GPU overclocked with OEM heatsinks/fan. :D

9. 46* is normal, if your hitting 90* + then it's meltdown time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.