Is my CPU too hot?????????????

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Tru_Snoop, Jan 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tru_Snoop

Tru_Snoop Registered Member

Hey guys;

My Specs:
    AMD ATHLON XP 2100+ 256K 266FSB SOCKET A RETAIL BOX
    512MB PC2700 DDR333 SAMSUNG RAM
    ABITR9550-128CDT RADEON 9550 128MB DDR AGP8X
    WD 80GB 7200rpm hard drive
    SOLTEK KT400-A4 ATX SOCKET A DDR400 AGP4X 5PCI ATA133 USB2.0 W/SOUND

I just ran Motherboard Moniter 5 and it shows that my CPU temperature is 55 degrees Celcius. Is that high? I have 3 fans installed in my PC, and I also have one fan already installed on heatsink of CPU, which came with it. I have this case, "NETLINK 18IN 350W ATX 3688 CASE /W FRONT USB PORT P4 READY". My two fans are installed back of the case which blow the air OUT, and one fan is installed infront of the case which blows air IN. here is the link of the case, "http://www.globalcomputersolutions.ca/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_38&products_id=116&osCsid=15e6dcd5e6065014ff1a895f9da17a2d"

How can I decrease the temp. if it is too high? I have fan on the top of my video card, also. Is there any solution? I have reseated the CPU heat sink by using, "SILVER GREESE". My CPU temp used to be 65 degrees C, but after cleaning heatsink and fan it decreased to 55 degrees. If I do need to replace HeatSiNK which will fit my CPU................Is there difference between whether I get cheap or expensive heatsink?

Also, is there anyway I can replace the front USP ports on this case, they don't work properly? Where to get them?

Thanks guys.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

you can check the normal temp for your CPU here your cpu is running a decent temp.

curt

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

4. Tru_Snoop

Actually I just checked now by checking in "Power Managment" (by Pressing DEL at startup), and I noticed that my CPU's temp is 67 degree C................Motherboard Moniter is showing it lower. The temp I checked is "(ASCII) Current Computer Temperature" and it is 67 degrees C. However "Temperature 1 is 55 degree"

lol

5. Tru_Snoop

I don't have more Pin Connectors on my Motherboard. It only has 4 pins to connect 4 fans. Is there anyway I can install more fans than 4? I I would like to install 120MM fan on the side of the fan.................

thanks.............

6. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

The only accurate measure of CPU temperature is that given by a thermal probe attached to the CPU itself. Motherboard-based sensors can only "estimate" the actual temperature by adding an offset so can give varying results.

If your CPU is running too hot (and is relatively new - say a couple of years old) then it will shut down or throttle back - either being pretty visible symptoms.

If you do wish to improve your cooling to allow for greater overclocking, then there are hardware sites aplenty with detailed advice (e.g. HardOCP). If 4 fans aren't enough for your system then water cooling or phase-change refrigeration would be the next step - though to improve your airflow you may like to check this site out first. ;)

7. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Is there anything blocking the ventilation holes of your CPU? If the holes are blocked, the air won't be able to flow freely and can cause overheating to the CPU. Or perhaps the fans in the CPU are placed in the wrong position? 65 or 55 degrees seems like a rather normal temperature for an athlon XP CPU actually.

If the CPU is running too hot for a long period of time, it could be suffering from overheating. Could you check the CPU's heat sink? I suspect that the problem may be caused by the heat sink malfunctioning. You can also try bringing your CPU down to a local computer store and ask the tech guy to inspect the entire CPU. There are already 4 fans in your CPU as you stated, I'm not sure if your motherboard can take in an additional one...
    I'm reading my book on computer CPUs and motherboards right now, and I see that there are 3 fans for another type of CPU motherboard:
    Fan 1: CPU fan connector
    Fan 2: Power supply fan connector
    Fan 3: Chassis fan connector
    If you can add in the 5th fan and the CPU still overheats, it could be time to change the motherboard or send it for servicing. CPU overheating is no good, other motherboard components can be affected by the heat.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  8. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

a good thermal paste like arctic5 would drop 5/10C in temperature. as for greater fans like 12mm you get again a drop of 5/10C and will be less noisier.

a good chipset cooler like zalman again 10C cooler and less noisier.

9. dober

dober Guest

install speedfan
    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
    very nice free prog (depends on mother board )it will show you the proccessor temp in digital form in infotray (systray)
    Mine is P43.2 HT (65 celcius idle speed) when it gets hot 80C or more the built in chip drop down the speed to as low as 200 MHz (yes it happend one day) some times I think whats the gain of having speeds 3.2GHz or above
    Im OK now with a chasis' fan powered externally with radio adapter and speedfan configured to speedup processor fan when the processor gets hot
    (the proccessor idle temp now is 40/41 celsius) and whenever the idle temp goes up by 5 degrees I take the CPU unitand blow the accumilated dust on the heat sink and the inside! YES blow it and this is another thing good about speedfan.

10. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

I live in hot enviroment and have no aircondition ,so i have sweat a lot to lower temperatures.Some tips:

1)buy an all copper heatsink.I have a Thermaltake Silent Boost (it's pretty silent too and has 80x80 fan).Copper is better heat conductor than alluminium,so takes the heat away from your CPU die faster.Use Arctic Silver as thermal paste (Arctic Ceramique is also good)
    2)buy a larger case,preferable made by alluminium (not iron),so that it can also partecipate in the heat spreading process.
    3)Position 1 frontal fan and 1 or 2 rear fans.From time to time clean the fans as they tend to rotate slower from dust.
    4)Try to tie together IDE and other cables so to create a free passage for the air which from the frontal fan will rise towards the upper rear of your PC.Even better if you buy round IDE cables.
    5)Try to keep the area around your CPU free from many cables.

That should do it.Right now i have 22 C room temperature(and it's winter),running Athlon XP 2500 in an Enermax case with 3 fans plus Silent Booster with Arctic Silver and round cables.CPU temp is 41, motherboard 38.

Your 2100 should not exceed 60 C when on full load.It can withstand temps up to 90 according to AMD,but it can show instability.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  11. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

BTW,when in doubt,always assume the BIOS temperature as the correct one.

There is also a possibility though,that your motherboard has miscalibrated sensor (it happened to me with an ASUS A7V8X-X which was showing CPU temp 86C on load while i could keep my finger on the heat sink for about 5 seconds).But this is the last thing once you exclude all the rest.In this case,you should have your board RMAed.

12. Tru_Snoop

I read on AMD site that front fans don't get cool air in the case. They circulate more hot air inside the case which effects the CPU temp. Is that true? Maybe I can check my case temp and control, so I don't have to buy new heatsink. How to check the PC Case temperature?

13. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Place a fan in the front and rear of your case for airflow through. Also be aware with older AMD's, I have seen them crumble simply by clamping down a new heat sink, you also void your warranty by using a non AMD approved heat sink and fan...

Just a word of caution...

Cheers :D

14. Tru_Snoop

Do they all have to blow air out? I have 4 fans total.................Do I need more fan? No place for more fans though

15. Blackspear

2 air intake (generally in the front) and 2 air outake (generally in the rear).

16. Tru_Snoop

thats what i have at the moment.............

17. Blackspear

18. Tru_Snoop

I just checked that my Computer case temperature is around 40 degree C. and my CPU temp around 68-70 degree C. I have 2 infront case fans to inhale and 2 rear case fans to exhale air. Can I make 1 inhale and 1 blow for each ? ( I mean 1 intake and 1 exhale at rear, and 1 inhale and 1 exhale infront.) Will this help cool down my Computer Case? I tied all the wires in my computer and made ventalation of air possible. It helped me lower couple of degrees (2-3), but not much. Any other solution, so I don't have spend money on buying this new heatsink.

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

My AMD 2000+ is running at 63 degrees c right now. Case is 43.
    I have one side fan with the intake beneath the motherboard. The processor has a fan.
    The power supply has a fan.
    That's it. It's been running fine for three years.

20. Blackspear

I wouldn’t advise it, you are better with air flow through your system than a whirlpool effect ;) :D

Not really, AMD’s are known for running hot…

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.